Are fruits and vegetables ok to feed?

So long as they have contact with dirt or some grit (play sand works fine) then if they'll eat it, it's fine.

my chickens eat almost everything, including the apples and seeds...there isn't enough bad in them to harm them... I would not feed them apple seeds alone...who would do that!? But no sick hens yet....I did read once if that is their main diet, then yes, they will get sick, but on occasion, its fine. The good thing about this forum, is that you get all sorts of advice, but truly you make the final decision....but its good to get it from all angles....then make the right choice. Its really not that hard to cut out the seeds before feeding!

Feed them all sorts of yummy treats, here is a link to the BYC treat sheet: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-treat-chart-the-best-treats-for-backyard-chickens

enjoy!
celebrate.gif

There's a reason for that. Most of that stuff is known to be harmful to dogs but no studies have been done on birds so it's largely unknown just how harmful they are. I've heard of more than one pet bird mysteriously dying after being fed chocolate though so that's why I'm so animate about that one.
Edit: I got this information from my Avian Vet, so far as the "no studies" thing. I asked her after I was unable to find any information about onions being toxic. Come to find out, no studies have been done on birds for just about any of this stuff.

Well that makes sense then, lol.

Garlic? I've heard of putting a chunk in their water or giving it to them cut up to help prevent bugs.....????

Last edited:
Hmmm...Asparagus is on that list and my chickens are notorious for going along nipping the top off my spears in the spring and all summer long they eat the berry looking things off them. Not to excess but they do eat them with (knock on wood) no ill effects so far.

Back
Top Bottom