Are geese fox deterents?!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by chickenz101, Dec 16, 2011.

1. chickenz101

chickenz101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    i was wondering if i was to get a goose to go with my indian runners, it would keep the fox away in the day? and at night they will be safe, tucked in! [​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:One goose by itself probably couldn't deter a fox, but maybe a couple ganders could. I have 1 gander and i think he keeps the hawks in check but I don't think he would make a very good stand up against a fox.

3. Yetti

Yetti Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 3 Males and 3 female Embden and they all gang up on my dog. I think if push comes to shove they will fight. my dog always runs away and almost never faces off with them.

4. J3172

J3172 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2010
    Michigan
    It only takes one fox that's not afraid of your birds, and he will eat your geese.

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    They make great alarm system however they would not be the best choice for a deterrent. A fox could easily take down a few geese.

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    A mob of geese may give a fox a run for his money, if only one fox and 6 or so geese.

7. chickenz101

chickenz101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    OH ok, thanks! any animals, or anything that can be used to kep the fox away!! [​IMG]

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:I have heard that donkeys are good for keeping livestock safe.

9. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    No! Not a deterrent - read my thread "Boss - an honourable death"

He was amazing and died trying to save my flock of geese - he was killed by a fox. I have two German Shepherd Dogs, one of which is always with my animals during the day - Boss was killed one February afternoon....!

Donkeys ( of which I have 4 now..... ) are great at warning - the males will bray loudly if a fox is in the vicinity and usually the fox will disappear... however, a hungry fox will stop at nothing less than a shotgun perhaps....

Sorry if this sounds depressing but it is fact!

Stay well and your geese too!

Suzie

10. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    We just lost one of our two geese to a hungry coyote(the brown chinese in my avatar). We are having such a problem, now they wait in the front yard for our birds. [​IMG] We saw the same coyote waiting this morning, in the spot my gander was killed yesterday. I am so angry, but being a child I feel so helpless. Thankfully my other goose managed to escape by flying over the fence. Honestly, only you, some good security, or an lgd will help.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by