Are geese fox deterents?!

chickenz101

Songster
8 Years
Jul 19, 2011
i was wondering if i was to get a goose to go with my indian runners, it would keep the fox away in the day? and at night they will be safe, tucked in!
smile.png

Quote:
One goose by itself probably couldn't deter a fox, but maybe a couple ganders could. I have 1 gander and i think he keeps the hawks in check but I don't think he would make a very good stand up against a fox.

I have 3 Males and 3 female Embden and they all gang up on my dog. I think if push comes to shove they will fight. my dog always runs away and almost never faces off with them.

They make great alarm system however they would not be the best choice for a deterrent. A fox could easily take down a few geese.

No! Not a deterrent - read my thread "Boss - an honourable death"

He was amazing and died trying to save my flock of geese - he was killed by a fox. I have two German Shepherd Dogs, one of which is always with my animals during the day - Boss was killed one February afternoon....!

Donkeys ( of which I have 4 now..... ) are great at warning - the males will bray loudly if a fox is in the vicinity and usually the fox will disappear... however, a hungry fox will stop at nothing less than a shotgun perhaps....

Sorry if this sounds depressing but it is fact!

Stay well and your geese too!

Suzie

We just lost one of our two geese to a hungry coyote(the brown chinese in my avatar). We are having such a problem, now they wait in the front yard for our birds.
sad.png
We saw the same coyote waiting this morning, in the spot my gander was killed yesterday. I am so angry, but being a child I feel so helpless. Thankfully my other goose managed to escape by flying over the fence. Honestly, only you, some good security, or an lgd will help.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom