Are Geese Underrated?

Pics

AGeese

Crowing
Jan 6, 2021
The Hawkeye State
I have a question...

Beyond a few books out there it sure seems Geese finish last in the fowl popularity contest. Like a foot note in the Duck section which turns about to be a chapter in the Chicken book calling it self "something or other on fowl".

Is this fair or am I missing something?

What are your go to guides and sources of information on geese, particularly beyond the forums?

Thanks ahead!

EDIT: I just realized this post should probably be moved! My bad....

It’s a fair statement, there aren’t a lot of reliable sources out there.

There’s The Book of Geese by Holderread, good luck finding a copy that isn’t $$$

Then there is https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Pet...6338&sprefix=the+book+of+geese,aps,208&sr=8-4
And
https://www.amazon.com/Modern-Homes...6338&sprefix=the+book+of+geese,aps,208&sr=8-1

I have no idea if they’re any good.

There are online sources like Metzer farms and forums like this place, fellow goose owners are often a great source of information.

Geese have probably been so underrated because of Canadian geese attacking people to protect themselves or their young. I have an Embden goose who bonded with me and her ducks when she was younger. She is a family pet and does a good job at warning for hawks. I would definitely suggest geese for any new homesteader or anyone with a flock. They graze on grass in our yard and hardly have to be fed. Very easy to care for and are so social and loving!

Tell me about it! I've seen that one on eBay astronomically priced.

Meyer Hatchery had it listed for a time and then sold out at around $30, they seem to have added more books recently https://www.meyerhatchery.com/Waterfowl-Books-c39788056
If your looking to buy some, I got my goose with some ducks from My Pet Chicken hatchery. I would definitely suggest ordering from the closest hatchery that you can just to be sure your ducks survive, we sadly lost one but they refunded us. Or go in on it with a friend and you could save some money too ;)

Geese have probably been so underrated because of Canadian geese attacking people to protect themselves or their young. I have an Embden goose who bonded with me and her ducks when she was younger. She is a family pet and does a good job at warning for hawks. I would definitely suggest geese for any new homesteader or anyone with a flock. They graze on grass in our yard and hardly have to be fed. Very easy to care for and are so social and loving!
Yeah and social media reposting those attack videos for the kicks. I think people tend to look at them as pests. I worked as grounds keeper for a company who paid for service that would bring a dog out to scare the geese off the trail around their pond so we wouldn't be spending time cleaning droppings or shewing them off.

If your looking to buy some, I got my goose with some ducks from My Pet Chicken hatchery. I would definitely suggest ordering from the closest hatchery that you can just to be sure your ducks survive, we sadly lost one but they refunded us. Or go in on it with a friend and you could save some money too ;)
Thanks for the recommendation! I had recently cancelled an order from them. I kinda wished I kept it, but I have 4 Emben females on order from Meyer now. I'd like to add a Roman Tufted gander down the road so I might give them a call back.

Yeah and social media reposting those attack videos for the kicks. I think people tend to look at them as pests. I worked as grounds keeper for a company who paid for service that would bring a dog out to scare the geese off the trail around their pond so we wouldn't be spending time cleaning droppings or shewing them off.
To be honest there’s something satisfying about the screams of a young child being preyed on by a large bird 🤣

Back
Top Bottom