Are Golden Comets normally a friendly breed?

StepfordCuckoos

Songster
Mar 20, 2019
We got four Golden Comets from TSC very early April. They have turned out to be the sweetest chickens we have. When we open the coop door they come running in so fast they go skidding across the floor. Are they normally this friendly or did we get lucky? If they’re a friendlier breed we might have to make them our go to chickens. I inserted a picture of Margo, who is definitely our friendliest.
BD9EF372-4C31-47D8-9C01-3D46AEA51090.jpeg

Some people say so.
They aren't really a breed. They are a sex-linked hybrid of two 'breeds'.
Golden Comets are a cross of Rhode Island Reds and Rhode Island Whites.
That probably makes them friendly to people but bullies in a mixed flock.

My golden comet is the oldest in our flock. Unfortunately her group, my first batch of chickens ever, was all lost to predators when we moved homes. She is friendly, will eat out of my hand and such but is definitely boss hen. She will even boss around some of the more docile roosters. (It’s quite scary when the sebright fights with her) When we had two golden comet chicks which we both lost unfortunately, they were actually quite friendly and would skitter up to me whenever I came down to the barn. Overall I’d recommend the breed.

Mine won't eat from my hand, but they do seem friendly. Of course, they are also smaller than any of my other birds, so that's not necessarily a good indicator of their behavior generally. Honestly, I prefer the personality of my only slightly larger dark Brahma, which in addition to being friendly appear to be slightly more intelligent - though the economics seem to favor the Golden Sex-linked/Comets for earlier and more frequent egg laying compared to the later, slower, but longer longer Brahma with their increased food costs over their productive lifespan.

I've got two golden comets, one is super super friendly, the other is skittish and distrustful. Out of all my sexlink reds, they don't stand out as either the most friendly or the least, so I think it can go both ways and is entirely dependent on the bird. My golden comets laid earlier than the other varieties though, and laid giant double yokers every day for their first month and a half of laying, so that was a nice bonus...other than the fact they were by far my loudest birds ever singing their egg song like they were having labour pains, to the point my neighbor moaned about my "roosters". :rolleyes:

Absolutely ADORE my comets! I cant think of a happier or more inquisitive bird. They are always the first to try anything new. Now, That being said.... they cut little to no slack to the babies of the flock, but they dont bully. My comets are almost 17 weeks... (cant remember off hand) and the babies are maybe 12 weeks. I have to set up multiple feeders and waterers so everyone has the best chance possible at success. BUT, they can be bossy. This is my second batch of comets... I just love them. The downside... sometimes with production birds, they wont live as long. But, they are a joy to have around.

Last edited:
I've got two golden comets, one is super super friendly, the other is skittish and distrustful. Out of all my sexlink reds, they don't stand out as either the most friendly or the least, so I think it can go both ways and is entirely dependent on the bird. My golden comets laid earlier than the other varieties though, and laid giant double yokers every day for their first month and a half of laying, so that was a nice bonus...other than the fact they were by far my loudest birds ever singing their egg song like they were having labour pains, to the point my neighbor moaned about my "roosters". :rolleyes:
One of mine laid her FIRST one this morning.... that noise went on for an 2 hours! LOL!!! Made me stop what I was doing to go check on her.... It was so dramatic! Then, she only laid a wee little egg. I told her SUCH NOISE for such a WEE product!

One of mine laid her FIRST one this morning.... that noise went on for an 2 hours! LOL!!! Made me stop what I was doing to go check on her.... It was so dramatic! Then, she only laid a wee little egg. I told her SUCH NOISE for such a WEE product!

:clap First eggs are exciting! I just wish my girls weren't sooo excited. The comets are the only ones that carry on like that in my flock, and announce themselves before AND after so enthusiastically! Usually when my girls get a little too vocal about their laying I can toss some scratch in or even just go tell them that they did a great job and they'll shush... but noooo, not my comets, there's no distracting them from their announcements! :rant

We have 3 golden comets, 2 brown Longhorns, and an Easter egger. The goldens are way friendlier than the others. Two of the three girls will hop up on me when I am in the run and they all eat out of my hand. At 17 weeks, just yesterday, we got our first egg from one of the comets! She was so loud, all the other girls were looking at her like what is wrong! Got another today too! I wasn't out there but guessing it was the same bird.

Back
Top Bottom