Are good food?

I think they'd need more than that. I feed mine table scraps, layer pellets, and let them free range so they have access to plants and insects. Sometimes I feed cracked corn mixed with other feeds in addition to free ranging.

I think they'd need more than that. I feed mine table scraps, layer pellets, and let them free range so they have access to plants and insects. Sometimes I feed cracked corn mixed with other feeds in addition to free ranging.
[/
They have access to plants and insects. But this is their main food

vegetables and grains will keep chickens happy and ensure they are receiving a nutritionally balanced diet. Good choices include leafy greens, cooked beans, corn, non-sugary cereals and grains, berries, apples and most other fruits and vegetables.

I give my chickens their regular feed. also daily I give them food scraps and treats like mealworms. You can feed your birds practically anything, but before you feed them something new research it. I like to think of chicken like catfish of the land, they will eat whatever that is in front of them.

There's bare survival, and doing well, and living up to their genetic potential.
Wild jungle fowl, in SE Asia, do fine eating what's out there. They are small, have a varied (jungle!) diet, and the hens might lay 30 eggs per year, maybe.
Modern chickens aren't like that, and don't live there, and need more managed care!
Some of the 'easiest keepers' are the smaller feral game type birds who live in Miami and Hawaii, who are closer to the 'original' chickens.
Larger egg or meat producing birds need to eat a balanced diet, with some extras then okay. It's possible to make a balance home made diet, but it's very expensive and difficult, compared to opening that bag from the feed store!
Corn and other grains just won't make it...
Mary

I give my chickens their regular feed. also daily I give them food scraps and treats like mealworms. You can feed your birds practically anything, but before you feed them something new research it. I like to think of chicken like catfish of the land, they will eat whatever that is in front of them.
Sometimes I do it

vegetables and grains will keep chickens happy and ensure they are receiving a nutritionally balanced diet. Good choices include leafy greens, cooked beans, corn, non-sugary cereals and grains, berries, apples and most other fruits and vegetables.
Me to sometimes we give them fruits and vegetables but their main food is corn and seed and bread

Back
Top Bottom