Are guineas quieter in smaller flocks?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by bald k9, Jul 23, 2010.

1. bald k9

bald k9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    Rural Edwardsville
    Hello ,I know they are loud but are they a little more settled and relaxed with like 3 or 4,,?Seems to me that the more you have the more talkers you would have , does that make sense?

2. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Well you would not have them making noise in as many places at one time , my flock splits up into groups after they have their breakfast, so i have chattering guineas all over the place [​IMG]

Only time mine are not chattering is when they chase each other [​IMG] Then we are making all the noise by laughing:lau

3. BC_Farms

BC_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2010
    Enfield & Chaplin CT
    My original 4 were very loud anytime they saw something pass by their window....but 20 guineas doing the same thing is much louder [​IMG]

4. Quote:Got 30 or so of the turds. They do the same thing, they break up into small groups (usually the same birds in each group) and venture the property for the day.

My birds are VERY confortable and they hardly chatter. The femals hardly call. HOWEVER, get something new or forgotten and viola I have Guineas Screaming.

I have never minded the noise and i really do not understand why people are so obsessed with it. If you sit down and listen for the groups to go by you will hear them CONSTANLY "talking" to each other. It is rather melodic.

When i go into the barn at night unexpected I get "hissed" at from the guinea hens in the rafters. They sound almost like a goose.

These birds are wacky and goonie, that is what makes them so much fun. I get a chuckle out of them every day.

I LOVE my Guineas.

5. FourPawz

FourPawz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Virginia
    "These birds are wacky and goonie, that is what makes them so much fun. I get a chuckle out of them every day."

LOL! We've only got 4, but one's name is "Looney". They do make life more interesting [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by