Are her wings supposed to be doing this?? Image included

yes wifezilla we all know your stand on protein.
Like the above post says though balance is the key.
You also state how much mixture of greens you feed, well believe it or not, you are cutting your hi protein diet down by doing that.
Truth is, ask any SEASONED breeder, they will all tell you high protein is the leading cause.
Birds in the wild do not solely eat animal protein, they eat anything and everything they can get their bills on. Only exception to this would be the sawbill family.
Plant matter actually makes up the vast majority of the balance of their diet with the occasional critter.
And yes, like the above poster said, in the wild, the vast majority of mid west waterfowl build their nest around major farms just so they can get to those grains.

But the generalized conseption of comparing domestic waterfowl to wild waterfowl is unfounded. Look at all the cases. virtually 99.9% are all domestic breeds, not wild species.
One reason for this is domestic waterfowl have been raised on commercial feeds for as long as they have been around. They are not used to the same diet as wild waterfowl anymore, thus their dietary needs are different. Trust me, I raised migratory waterfowl for 25 years or so with near 100 different species. If you feed them the same as domestic fowl, they'd all eventually die. The wild diet is properly balanced. Animals know what their body needs, and their natural insticts will drive them to crave foods containing that.
Just like Gorgie said about the grains in the winter to add on fat reserves and body heat.
Domestic fowl have lost this ability and just eat and eat and eat. They have no control over it other than what we personally give them. They have heavier bodies, and much more rapid growth rates. This is why most every case you will see of angel wing is in domestic ducks, geese, and occationally swans.

The duckweed reference, yes it's high in protein for a plant, but it's 95% or better water too, so honestly the TRUE protein level of it is miniscule.

Yes I do agree that high carbs, as well as low magnesium and calcium plays a role in it as well I've already stated that. But honestly now, who on here feeds all bread to their ducklings?
None of the above problems have, but yes they all have protein issues .
There are also lines of birds who well, just never have problems with angel wing. I'm betting of your 5-6 ducks you have, they came from good lines, strong genetics and most likely more resistant.

Anyway, dont be so quick to dismiss the protein claim, when virtually every professional breeder in the world says it, there's usually something to it.

In short folks, it's all about a balanced diet and controlled growth rate. Too much of this, not enough of that, and weak genetics. Putting too much on a weak frame is the underlying cause. What does that, high protein and high carbs add the weight, low calcium and low magnesium make the weak frame.

Last edited:
yes wifezilla we all know your stand on protein.

YOU do. New people don't.

You also state how much mixture of greens you feed, well believe it or not, you are cutting your hi protein diet down by doing that.

Relook at the list. It includes many HIGH PROTEIN items like worms, rosy minnows, duckweed and this year, string algae, which is mostly protein. If their protein percentage is lowered, it isn't lowered by much. Certainly not as low as 15 or 16%...the protein percent in many foods recommended to "treat" angelwing.

the generalized conseption of comparing domestic waterfowl to wild waterfowl is unfounded.

TOTALLY and completely disagree. In fact, going back to the original biology of the dog (which is the wolf) is the entire basis of the B.A.R.F. diet or raw feeding. Same concept different animal. Domestic ducks and wild ducks ARE NOT different species. People feed ducks grains for THEIR convenience, not for the ducks.

Another example is the human diet. Many people are losing weight, curing diabetes, curing high blood pressure, overall improving their health, etc... by returning to the food eaten before agriculture. Again, same concept, different species.

There is more than one theory about the cause of angel wing. I am just offering the alternative to the most popular but unproven theory. Both sides agree that there is a genetic component, so it would be irresponsible to breed a duck that contracts it.

I'm betting of your 5-6 ducks you have, they came from good lines, strong genetics and most likely more resistant.

My current count is 15. That will be lower in fall. I also have plenty of "grand ducks" out there and keep in touch with the owners. The only ones out there that didn't do well are the ones that were fed low protein chicken food. Their feathers aren't nearly as full and healthy as my birds. They are also smaller. Low protein saves a farmer money while keeping the ducks alive long enough to make it to market. It does not allow the duck to fully express its genetic potential for size and fitness.​

Last edited:
LOL
your concepts, comparisons, and all always amaze me and make me laugh a little.
You say there is no proof of protein being the cause all the time, yet you have yet to provide any proof it isnt or that your theory is.
So to each his own. I'll stick with everything I have experienced over several decades and countless thousands of waterfowl raised, as well as the equal opinion of every other professional waterfowl keepers around the world. Not saying it is the ONLY cause of the disfigurment, but it's on top of the list of causes anywhere you look. Yes other diffecencies do play a role and yes carbs are one of them, but to dismiss everything on a hunch is just crazy.....

the lack of knowledge of wild SPECIES also shows again in the above post, SPECIES and BREEDS are two totally different things. Yet you are saying basically the diet of say a King Eider and a khaki campbell are comparable..that's nuts. They are different species, you are going back to the ol a ducks a duck thing...honestly that's just not the case. Even amongst the 100 or so species of different wild ducks, there is a massive dietary difference between them. Dont believe me, fine, go to a zoo and ask them . But the constant comparison of what a naturally occuring wild duck eats, and what we feed domestic ducks in a penned enviroment, is yes an unfounded argument. It all depends on the speices, period. Grazers (puddle ducks ) have a different diet than divers, divers depending on the species have different dietary needs than, specialized divers like sawbills and eiders.

ALL domestic species are puddle ducks, which would put them in that class if you were to put them in a class with wild ducks. Their primary diet consist of plant matter, NOT animal proteins. While yes, they do at time eats some animal proteins, NO their primary dietary needs are filled by plant matter which is low in protein.
Back to the balance thing which seems to get passed by , In the wild, the duck has it's choice of what to eat. Yes instict will often dictate what they eat, if they are low on something all animals have an instict to seek a food source out with what ever they are lacking in it. Back to the penned thing again, these only have the option of eating what we feed them.

This is why you never see a truly wild bird with angel wing.

In a nut shell, we are talking about prepared bagged feed in this thread. Whats the main ingredient variable in all of them, the first ingredient listed, Protein
Pretty much all other nutritional ingredients brand to brand are pretty darn close to equal.

Last edited:
I do recommend that people get a hold of the Dave Holderread booklet I mentioned earlier: "Wing Disorders in Waterfowl". It's based on his experience and experimentation with many waterfowl breeds and feeds and living conditions over the years.

In addition to nutrition he says that major angel wing causes include a lack of exercise, usually meaning a lack of access to bathing water. When they bathe, ducklings vigorously use all their muscles but particularly their wings. This excercise strengthens muscle, bones, connecting tissue etc. which helps the wing become strong enough to support growing feathers. These observations are based on studying domesticated ducks, including systematic studies of the effects of different exercise/bathing regimes. However he notes that wild ducks swim from day one and get plenty of exercise - likely a factor in their very low incidence of angel wing.

Other factors include a lack of brooder space and boredom, leading to feather picking and injuries which can lead to angel wing.

So it's important to look beyond diet to the living environment as well.

Other than muscovies, domestic ducks are derived from MALLARD DUCKS. I am comparing my mallard derived domestic ducks to their wild mallard relatives. Nothing crazy about that.

"Cottam (1938) and Mendall (1949) examined stomach contents of certain species of ducks, and found that the percentage of animal matter eaten is greatest in the young, and that a much greater proportion of vegetable matter is eaten as the duck grows older." So the time for more protein for a duck is when they are YOUNG.

"We found that a Mallard duckling, 10-12 days old, had 43 caddice-fly larvae in the proventriculus, while the giz- zard contained many remains of Odonata, including wings of adult dragon- flies." Hummm... no plants.

There is also info on this study about the feeding methods of mallards and how the ducklings nibble the roots of duckweed so they can get at the snails that cling to the roots. http://www.google.com/search?q=%22selective+feeding+by+wild+ducks+of+different+species%22&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a#hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=ZIG&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&q=selective+feeding+by+wild+ducks+of+different+species&sa=X&ei=AGUjTrnyNoyosQOa3tg_&ved=0CB8QgwM&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=e2da2b7285618720&biw=1183&bih=667

Adults
will just gobble up the duckweed too
big_smile.png

In conclusion, either I am right OR my duck contain such superior genetics that generation after generation they can avoid getting angel wing even though, as some claim, "those 18%-20% or higher feeds will do it every time." So, anyone want to buy some genetically superior ducks?
gig.gif

Last edited:
How is everyone's ducks doing through treatment? Here Coco is almost 100% last I took the wrap off to give him a break. I rewrapped it because it didn't stay perfect overnight.

The other with the double angel wing (coco only has one affected) is a sneaky little dude. He can get himself out of every wrap style I try. I tried the between the legs style, and made sure he had freedom of movement, but then he got depressed over it and wouldn't eat and I swear, he pouted. So.. I wrap and rewrap again like 3 times a day on him. He's half improved, his wings will set correctly for a time before reverting to a 45 degree angle. Way better than the full 90 degrees without treatment though. So, he may be wrapped longer than Coco.

Their chicken is living with them while they go through this... I think she really likes being a house chicken. She's just such a goof. When I open the cage top she flies to the side, and when I grab a duck, she runs along the top of the cage to settle on the end of it and watch me. She comments in chicken speak, since her voice is changing from peep to hen talk.

I'm happy with the progress, I just wish Chanel would cooperate more. Coco manages it will and will leave his wrap on for days. But Chanel... he'll bite me, chew on me, kick at me, try to grab the wrap out of my hand as I work with it... he's not pleased.

LOL, Chanel doesn't know what's good for him. Sounds like a real character. It's great that they are coming along well, even if it's a battle of wills. It might take a few weeks of taping, but it sounds like it is helping a lot. When you take the wrap off I'd just do it for a few hours at most, then put it back on before bedtime.

You can try even stickier tape (like stretchy elastoplast) but that's very hard to get off feathers.... Holderread recommends masking tape, so you could give that a try if you haven't yet.

Back
Top Bottom