Are kitten collars safe for chickens?

Femerithian

In the Brooder
Jun 13, 2023
I was thinking of using collars on my hens as more of a decorative and identification thing
I figure if I got break away kitten collars that those would be safest, and if they don't seem to break easy enough I planned to cut away some of the plastic

Would these collars be safe? Are there any problems I'm not seeing?

Also I'm worried that leg bands could get stuck on twigs and such in the area of bush and trees that is within my fence line

I'm not sure you could get a kitten collar tight enough, due to the neck feathers being so fluffy and chicken necks are pretty thin, to stay on or not get caught on something. I use zip ties on the legs and they are zipped pretty small/close to the leg. They can need to be replaced as the chicken grows, so the zip tie is not too small. The zip ties do not get snagged/stuck on anything.

I'm not sure you could get a kitten collar tight enough, due to the neck feathers being so fluffy and chicken necks are pretty thin, to stay on or not get caught on something. I use zip ties on the legs and they are zipped pretty small/close to the leg. They can need to be replaced as the chicken grows, so the zip tie is not too small. The zip ties do not get snagged/stuck on anything.
I figured the collars would be rather loose, and I figured break away in case they did catch on something, or loose enough they can pull their head out with minor ruffled feathers

I was figuring that it wouldn't be much different from when my cats get their collars off

Is there an age when chickens legs would stop growing thicker? I if I zip tie their legs I want to know how often to closely check, also the safest way to remove them when they need replacement

Sorry, I don't know when their legs would stop growing. For mine, I can visually see if the zip tie looks to small, w/o a close inspection. They are put on loose enough to be secure (not coming off their foot), yet still move freely around the leg. I don't let them get too tight and use kitchen scissors to cut them off.

I figured the collars would be rather loose
I doubt a collar would stay on the birds for long, their head being slimmer than their neck.

Is there an age when chickens legs would stop growing thicker? I if I zip tie their legs I want to know how often to closely check, also the safest way to remove them when they need replacement
No way to really give a number, you have to be observant and vigilant.
Here's how I do ziptie legbands:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/leg-banding-with-zipties.68075/

Back
Top Bottom