Are little eggs normal first few weeks or forever?

So no cracked corn, no scratch until they can go outside, and the crumble, Dumor, grower/ finisher 17%. I just noticed I'm down to less then gallon, should i get something different like layers crumble next? Thanks for your input.
Lots of ways to feed your birds.....look at overall diet components.
I don't know enough about nutritive levels to toss out hard numbers,
so just try to keep protein around 18% and keep things simple and moderate.

I feed an 'all flock' type feed for all ages and genders, 20% protein and 1-2% calcium.
Have never fed anything else and it's worked well here.
I have OS, sometimes mixed with crushed chicken egg shells, in a separate container for the layers who need that extra calcium.
I toss out a bit of scratch daily and other treats once in awhile.

Oh and as for the egg size, they'll get bigger. You probably know this but just in case you don't:. The egg size increases with age and usually after each moult (when they lose feathers & re- grow 'em.). While your young girls will lay about every day, at about a year old they'll hit their first moult. After each moult, a hen will take a little longer in between laying each egg, maybe a day, maybe a day & a half, it just depends on each hen.

Something delightful to watch for are very, very small eggs, like maybe the size of a quarter. There's nothing wrong with a hen who lays an egg like that, in fact many people consider them lucky. I've gotten a few from my girls over the years & while I don't consider them lucky or anything, I still have each one, kept in a special place. Just because.
Thank you SO MUCH. I love these critter kids. Nobody said a critter can't have feathers, have they? I'll hear it here. Maybe it's the attention they give me. I know I'm needed but they make ME feel wanted. I have learned my lesson reading all of these replies. Thanks again.

Ive loved these girls from the moment momma hen said she wanted to sit a spell. Causing me nervous Nelly attacks. Being 4 and 5 days passed 21,22. Like first babies, its a learning curve. Thay are 21 wks old this week. When we get through march the worst of this cold will be on its way out. We all could use some sun light, can't wait. I've got patients.

While on the subject of eggs I have a hen that lays but the shell doesnt harden. It's like a soggy sack and it breaks.
Has anyone any idea what would cause this?

While on the subject of eggs I have a hen that lays but the shell doesnt harden. It's like a soggy sack and it breaks.
Has anyone any idea what would cause this?
Lack of calcium perhaps?? Curious to know what feed you use for them. Do you offer grit & calcium all of the time?? I've found that offering food, calcium & grit free choice gives them the opportunity to do what they want. Some folks say that feeding the crushed up eggshells back to the girls works, but it's never been enough for my girls so that's why I use the actual calcium.

I got eight eggs today for the first time. Over a month between the time of my first egg. You can see which ones are which by the size. They all have been small at first but gotten bigger just a few days.. By two weeks as big as the others. Three of these eight are in the first week of production.

Attachments

• e2.jpg
    e2.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 3
  • e1.jpg
    e1.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 3
All 4 of our baby girls are laying eggs. From broody hen mom to big girls showing off their "girly-ness". I thought being first eggs they should be small, these are too small and just too cute to cook. Will my girls ever lay eggs that are closer to normal size eggs. In the picture they are 4 days old. The 2 i got today are the same size. The white egg is store bought. The large brown egg is from mom hen. She is 1.5 yrs. My kids are 20 wks this wk. Is there something wrong here? They eat well, I think. Crumble all they want. Scratch, only a cup a day, across the trough. Cracked corm in a metal fed thing...(like a self feeder can), grit with oister shell and meal worms in a (hard to explain this) 18x18x18" plastic, mirrored cube, like a come/go tunnel. With 2-hanging cabbages (1 at a time of course). Is there anything else i can possable do for these kids?
Whenever we have young chickens, their first eggs are exactly like that---almost as small as Bantam eggs. After a few small eggs they get larger. They will lay eggs as big as your hen's large egg or even larger. Not to worry.

What pretty girls, they look very well loved!
Agree with watching their diet "owner of way,way,waaaay too fat chickens myself lol!"
They get chubby really easy, almost as easy as alot of people which is weird because they move so much but chickens are weird.
I did get a giggle out of the bicycle seat in the photo, these chunks broke a plastic sawhorse by perching in mass on it.....wondered if the rest of that bicycle had the same run of luck.:)
Thank you for your reply. You asked what "breed", I do not know. Heinz-57 I guess.
I know they are chickens. View attachment 2023961
(The bike seat is for reference and a good doorstop) 2 boys, Chancy (white w/ a black shaw) and Zipper @ 12:00, his tweed girls @11 and 5 and the twin buffy butts @ 6 and 9. I have read the other replies. They say don't do this, don't do that and don't tell you why. I am the first to tell you everything I know about Chickens I learned here. I started with just babysitting a flock for a few wks. last winter. {1 Roo, red, orange and brown- 6 hens, 5 blk. and white (barrels ?) 1, beautiful "hawk-shaped", brown-tweedy looking, (like above,11:00). Turned into a few months. One of his hens (metallic black) was exceptionally broody. I felt so bad for her we (husband & I) let this evolve. He took his flock back and left us with mom hen and these sweeties. Our excuss for their Run is under 2" of pack ice and 5" of snow is due in 24-36 hr. So scratch on top of the snow on the ground is out of the question. They come out of the coop touch the snow and run back in like it is hot. So funny! I love these kids. They came late in the year, so a new roof and windows were the priority. Come spring I have been promised a she-she-er girly coop. Right now I have Red Flags to ponder. Thanks for letting me ramble, I think my kids are happy, they talk to me like they're happy. They are calm and seem to be well intergraded. Mom hen is back to her pre-broody state of mind and showing the girls how to be prissy and not so roo-boy like. Enough talk'en I'm headed to the coop. Scrambled eggs and oatmeal! ps. I don't eat eggs or chicken meat. Got a Red flag for that?

Back
Top Bottom