Are maple shavings bad to use?

buckabucka

Crowing
14 Years
Jan 13, 2010
Fairfield, Maine
My Coop
My Coop
We are using the deep litter method in our coop, and so far, we've just used pine shavings. I understand you should never use cedar, but would maple shavings cause problems? Is hardwood not used because it is bad for the chickens, or because it is generally less absorbent?

The pine shavings are relatively cheap, but my husband is a carpenter and is currently producing tons of maple shavings that we will need to dispose of eventually. Would it be okay to mix them in, or would you not recommend it?
Thank you for any advice.

Robin

Quote:
The oils in cedar can damage the lungs of the chickens, especially the young ones.

I'm a woodworker too and I usually use whatever shavings I have on hand, as long as it's not treated lumber. I've been using maple shaving lately and haven't encountered any bizarre, unexplainable problems.

THey are a bit more prone to getting moldy than softwood shavings like pine; but keep an eye on them and you should be able to make it work.

The main thing is whether they are the right physical "type" of shavings to be useful as bedding -- not too fine and dusty, not too coarse and woodchippy.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Quote:

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

That's a good point. I should have mentioned that I made some changes in my shop layout so that the shavings from my planer and joiner didn't dump the same place as my saws and sanders.

I think the shaving type should be fine. The chips from the planer and joiner are the ones we will try. They are already fed into a separate container, since they build up so much more quickly.
I think I will try mixing them with pine to avoid possible mold problems. What I'd really like to try, is coffee chaff, since I read on here the whole coop takes on a coffee aroma! I haven't found a local source though.
Thanks for the input.
Robin

Back
Top Bottom