Are mealworms safe for baby ducks?

Sparkling

Chirping
10 Years
May 26, 2013
I have a big container of dry mealworms I give to my chickens for treats. Are they safe for baby ducks? I do have some live "superworms" that we feed to our leopard gecko I could give them also but they are about 2 inches long and seem like they would be too big for baby ducks. Since they eat bugs in the garden I thought maybe some mealworms would be a good nutritional supplement for them??

Yes, mealworms are a great treat for ducklings :) Just wait until they are at least a week or two old to offer them. I wouldn't give them supers, they're too big for ducklings. Adult ducks will go nuts for them, though.

Last edited:
Thank you for confirming what I was worried about with the big mealworms.

Also, beautiful Ayam Cemani in your profile pic!

I was just about to ask the same question, so I'm glad I found this. I was at Tractor Supply and saw a big bag of dried mealworms but was hesitant to buy it. Now I have a reason to go back and look for more goodies for the ducklings! ;)

Yes, mealworms are a great treat for ducklings :) Just wait until they are at least a week or two old to offer them. I wouldn't give them supers, they're too big for ducklings. Adult ducks will go nuts for them, though.
My duckling was born with his head to one side will this get better and what can I do to help it it was born last night at midnight

I have a big container of dry mealworms I give to my chickens for treats. Are they safe for baby ducks? I do have some live "superworms" that we feed to our leopard gecko I could give them also but they are about 2 inches long and seem like they would be too big for baby ducks. Since they eat bugs in the garden I thought maybe some mealworms would be a good nutritional supplement for them??
They would looove mealworms ♥️ Hang of the big ones tho

I start feeding my ducks mealworms at 1week old live ones

Hi I saved a baby duckling from a sandhill crane yesterday, it was actually in his mouth and I got him to drop it. By that time the mother and the babies were running and the baby could not keep up it kept falling to one side. I have no idea how old this baby is I got him some unmedicated chicken feed I can't tell if he's eating it or not can I give him freeze-dried mealworms as well?

Hi I saved a baby duckling from a sandhill crane yesterday, it was actually in his mouth and I got him to drop it. By that time the mother and the babies were running and the baby could not keep up it kept falling to one side. I have no idea how old this baby is I got him some unmedicated chicken feed I can't tell if he's eating it or not can I give him freeze-dried mealworms as well?
Try scrambled eggs. Do you have any electrolytes?
If you make a new post you might have your question seen by more people.

Back
Top Bottom