Are mealworms safe for baby ducks?

I have a big container of dry mealworms I give to my chickens for treats. Are they safe for baby ducks? I do have some live "superworms" that we feed to our leopard gecko I could give them also but they are about 2 inches long and seem like they would be too big for baby ducks. Since they eat bugs in the garden I thought maybe some mealworms would be a good nutritional supplement for them??
The dried mealworms will be no problem for them as long as they have plenty of water by them. the superworms you can probably cut up into pieces for them. but once they get older, you want to take it easy on the protein- mealworms have lots of protien.

I put the dried mealworms in a tupperware, shake it and call "Treats". Train them young and they all come running as fast as they can for treats. It is Great to getting them into the secure enclosure at night and just fun to watch them waddling for their form of candy :)

If this is a wild duckling (not a Muscovy) best to call wild life or water fowl rehabber. They will know how to care for it so it can be released back into the wild when old enough. Bless you for saving it.

if it was the runt of the flock i'd keep it. Peter, my wood duck was the runt and she seem to have some mental issues. she is the duck in my profile pic. there is also a family of wild mallards that come to our shoreline, and unfortunately, the runt in that family died. if a rescue center lets it go, it will die.(if it is the runt) there is usually one runt in a family.

Back
Top Bottom