Are Muscovies Supposed To Quack?

MorgieAndAuggie

Chirping
Jul 15, 2022
California, USA
I have a I think male muscovy. He has like a black leathery face instead of red, which I think is weird. Anyway, he makes a hissy noise whenever I walk up to say hi. (He loves people) And people always mistake him for hissing at them. I keep reading up about them and apparently they quack???? My muscovy has NEVER quacked. Also apparently they are a "species of their own"? My mom keeps saying they are not even a duck. I NEED ANSWERS😭

I have a I think male muscovy. He has like a black leathery face instead of red, which I think is weird. Anyway, he makes a hissy noise whenever I walk up to say hi. (He loves people) And people always mistake him for hissing at them. I keep reading up about them and apparently they quack???? My muscovy has NEVER quacked. Also apparently they are a "species of their own"? My mom keeps saying they are not even a duck. I NEED ANSWERS😭
They are a different species than other domestic ducks. They aren't really related mallards, but are more closely related to Shell-ducks.
They don't quack, but hiss, chirp, and whistle.
How big is yours? Male are much, much bigger than females.

IMG_20211007_151329116.jpg

This is Apollo, he also has a black leathery face. Actually something I like about him!

Muscovy ducks do quack but usually only when stressed.

Can you post a picture of him?

Back
Top Bottom