Are my 2 adult geese actually Steinbachers?

ElGoose

Songster
May 27, 2023
We were new to geese when we moved to this house, and there were 2 on the land that used to be owned by an abusive squatter but they’ve taken really well to us!
The guy who says he “owns” them (more like stole) illegally lives on the land next to us and is being taken away soon so we are crossing our fingers that when he leaves they stay 🤞
We originally just assumed they were an embden cross (as we knew nothing about breeds at the time lol) but looking into it they appear to look more like Steinbacher!
We aren’t too sure about the female but the male definitely has that black lipstick mark

Attachments

• IMG_1661.jpeg
    IMG_1661.jpeg
    814.6 KB · Views: 50
We were new to geese when we moved to this house, and there were 2 on the land that used to be owned by an abusive squatter but they’ve taken really well to us!
The guy who says he “owns” them (more like stole) illegally lives on the land next to us and is being taken away soon so we are crossing our fingers that when he leaves they stay 🤞
We originally just assumed they were an embden cross (as we knew nothing about breeds at the time lol) but looking into it they appear to look more like Steinbacher!
We aren’t too sure about the female but the male definitely has that black lipstick mark
The bird closest to the camera eating from a hand appears to be a Buff American Goose.

The bird closest to the camera eating from a hand appears to be a Buff American Goose.
Oh wow yeah! Just looked it up and the resemblance is uncanny.. now we are wondering if she is a boy because we’ve never seen her lay 😆 also nice yuri on ice pfp 👍

Oh wow yeah! Just looked it up and the resemblance is uncanny.. now we are wondering if she is a boy because we’ve never seen her lay 😆 also nice yuri on ice pfp 👍
Yeah, I raise Americans so that one is a dead ringer for it. My hens are pretty hands off, but the ganders like cuddles and snacks, so I'd be tempted on behavior alone to say gander.

And thanks! lol Most people haven't seen it, but I adore it. So ready for the movie to drop.

Steinbacher geese have both the black bean and the black "lipstick". They also have a distinct, slightly downward curved bill shape. If your goose's bill has that shape, it's very likely a Steinbacher.

Back
Top Bottom