Are my Buff Orpingtons really Buff Rocks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by FoxyChicken, Aug 25, 2013.

1. FoxyChicken

FoxyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2013
    NE MN
    While looking at everybody else's pictures of their BOs I've noticed that they have whitish legs. My supposed BOs have very yellow legs, could they be Rocks? I got them from a local feed store who said they were BOs, but they also gave me 5 Australorps and 1 SLW instead of 6 SLWs. I'm new to chickens so I had no idea they were the wrong breeds, they were all just little balls of fluff... but it doesn't matter I still love them all[​IMG]

These girls are so sweet and the friendliest of my small flock, just great goofy personalities. They also seem like they're at the top of the pecking order, which from what I've read isn't that common for BOs?
    They're 14 weeks in this pic.

[​IMG]

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    I think you have two red sex links, the different hatcheries have different names for them, around here they are usually called Red Stars.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Those are red sex link pullets.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    You have two Red Sex-Links. They are also called Red Stars or Cinnamon Queens. Red Sex-Links are crosses of a red rooster (like a Rhode Island Red) and a white hen (Leghorns are common). This allows the chicks to be sexed easily at hatch by their down color. Red Sex-Links lay lots of eggs. I have a friend who has a Red Sex-Link, and her bird has only missed on day of laying since starting to lay last fall!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  5. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Quote:X2, they are egg laying machienes

6. FoxyChicken

FoxyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2013
    NE MN
    Thank you all!! Of course the first thing I did was research Red Sex Links on the BYC Breeds page. Now I'm really worried about all the health problems they may have [​IMG]. They really have endeared themselves to me, such sweet girls. I hope I can keep them healthy [​IMG] although I know some of it is beyond my control. As much as I love them, I'm not sure I would purposely get them again.

With them and the Australorps, sounds like I may be overrun with eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by