Are my chickens crazy???

thomkatflyer

Chirping
Apr 24, 2020
Summerfield NC
My Coop
My Coop
So my 10 birds are now 8 weeks old. They are loving their NEW coop and run. I am still feeding them starter/grower and they are very healthy. Here's the question.... I have started giving them treats, watermelon, strawberries, leftover bread but they don't seem too interested in much of it. They will come for mealworms but other than that, nothing. My kids find earthworms and give to them but the chickens just stand there looking at the worms and then walk away! I've never seen a chicken that wouldn't fight for a fresh worm!! Does it take time for them to develop a taste for treats? I even gave them some cracked corn and they were like....eh, maybe maybe not.

Our 5.5 week olds are the same way. There are 6 of them, and the only ones in the flock - no older ones for them to learn from.
They were pretty much scared of watermelon and apples, however they have pecked at some romaine lettuce a bit.
They also go crazy over mealworms but had the same reaction as yours to earth worms my kids found for them. Lol They go crazy over catching flying bugs though, gnats, mosquitos, flies, etc.
I assume eventually they'll figure it out! I've been working on teaching them to roost at night, so I assume it's another one of those "learning how to chicken" things.

Do you have older birds they will be mixed in with when they are bigger? If so, they may learn from the big girls that those items are delicious treats!
This is our first flock so they are all the same age. 2 RIR, 2 Black SL's, 3 Amaracaunas, and 3 Barred Rocks. Funny to see them learn new stuff. I built them a Chic-nic table and they seem to enjoy that.
0525201602a.jpg

Will they hand feed? Our chickens would eat pretty much anything you held out in the palm of your hand even if it easnt edible 🤦🏼‍♀️ they associate my kids with food. In face if anyone even begins to approach they rush and start looking for food. If they will hand feed maybe that would be a way to show them it's ok to eat?

Back
Top Bottom