Are my Chickens just fussy

ooRachyoo

In the Brooder
May 8, 2015
Devon England
My pullets are 17 weeks old, I've had them a week they are plowing through their feed but they don't seem interested in anything else. I got them some mixed corn but they don't seem interested, I tried dried meal worms and they had a little peck then lost interest, there is no interest in fruit at all, live crickets and live meal worms they love but I really don't want to be spending a fortune in the pet store, is it because they are young or are they just being fussy, I'm not over feeding them I have just been trying them with a little bit of different things to see what floats their boat but not much is doing it for them, they are happy enough being hens and scratching and digging around oh and they like shredding my honey suckle not eating it just destroying it , so I let them have it because it seems to make their day

That's a good idea, how about strawberrys I've got them in the fridge, other wise I'll have to go buy a watermelon espically for them ( which I will probably do any way )

At first my chicks weren't touching anything thier about 7 weeks old. I started giving them scraps when I make a salad. To my surprise they love cucumbers. Now they eat pretty much all I give them.

I tried some cucumber they weren't fussed about it, I've tried salad too, even brought a living salad and planted it, hoping they might think oooo Its a living plant let's destroy it, they dug it up then just left it lol

There was a list of favorite foods on here. They will probably eat more variety as they get older, I'd think mine seem hungry.

Last edited:
The fact that they prefer the poultry ration and are eating it with gusto is a good thing. They don't "need" all the extra stuff. Just be tankful you aren't having the opposite problem and let them continue eating the balanced feed they need.

Back
Top Bottom