Are my chicks okay?!

Back again with the “are they to cold, to
Hot, or okay” questions.

My 9 day old chicks have started sleeping at the end the of their brooder in a pile or a single file line, almost always facing the wall. At first I thought they were to hot, but they are pretty far away from where the heat lamp hits, and they aren’t panting, spreading their wings, etc. (and they continue to sleep close together). Then I thought, maybe they are cold? Sleeping on the edge... but if they were to cold, I would imagine they would move under the heat? Or on the edge of the heat?

These chicks are confusing me, and I’m a new chick owner. Just want to make sure they are comfortable.

I have pictures to show what I’m talking about if needed.
I'd probably get an incubator thermometer for some peace of mind. I remember I was just a bundle of nerves when I got my first ones, but it does get better, you got this! :thumbsup

😂😂 yes, they are super active. Trying to flutter around, eating, drinking, pooping. It just confuses me why they always go to the wall. There brooder is rather large so they have the option to go under the heat, on th endge of the heat, or away from it all together. Just trying to understand if they need anything. Also, no pasty but!! 3 days one had it, but we have been good the last couple of days.

I don’t even want to think of when they go out haha.
Aunt Angus, any friendly tips for the great move to the coop/ Last night was the first time I left them in their baby pen with the heat lamp off and I worried all night. All accounted for this morning. Do you recommend putting a heat lamp in the coop after the move or just letting them tough it out? We're Bay Area and even though it's in the 90s during the day, nights can still get down to mid-50s. Will they be okay without a lamp when we make the move? 5 weeks old today!

Here is an example.

They look pretty comfortable - not completely as far away from lamp as possible, but not needing the heat in the center either.

Chicks pile up for comfort, not necessarily cold, so don't use the fact that they pile up as proof of them being cold. If anything, you could stand to drop the temperatures in there a few degrees, to bring them away from the corner there.

Do you recommend putting a heat lamp in the coop after the move or just letting them tough it out? We're Bay Area and even though it's in the 90s during the day, nights can still get down to mid-50s. Will they be okay without a lamp when we make the move? 5 weeks old today!

5 week olds are fine at those temps. If you do not already have them fully weaned off heat indoors, do that first for a few days, then move them out.

They look pretty comfortable - not completely as far away from lamp as possible, but not needing the heat in the center either.

Chicks pile up for comfort, not necessarily cold, so don't use the fact that they pile up as proof of them being cold. If anything, you could stand to drop the temperatures in there a few degrees, to bring them away from the corner there.

5 week olds are fine at those temps. If you do not already have them fully weaned off heat indoors, do that first for a few days, then move them out.

Thank you! Moving day soon!

Aunt Angus, any friendly tips for the great move to the coop/ Last night was the first time I left them in their baby pen with the heat lamp off and I worried all night. All accounted for this morning. Do you recommend putting a heat lamp in the coop after the move or just letting them tough it out? We're Bay Area and even though it's in the 90s during the day, nights can still get down to mid-50s. Will they be okay without a lamp when we make the move? 5 weeks old today!
Gosh! Didn't see this! Don't know what happened there. Sorry!!!

I'm from the Bay Area originally! Yay! Great weather for chickens there!

They will be perfectly fine in the coop without heat once their big girl feathers are in. If you are concerned, you can use a heating pad, but they won't need it! I find putting the whole brooder in the coop for the first few nights really helps the transition. Just make sure it's really secure. And NO HEAT LAMP. Fire danger!!!

Chicks generally don't like to sleep "out in the open" - they like to feel sheltered, so in absence of anything else, they will tend to sleep in a corner or by a wall. Except if they are too cold, then they'll be under the heater.

Back
Top Bottom