Are my cookies better because our eggs are better?

Not only do cookies (or anything else) made with fresh eggs taste better, they look better too! I love how golden yellow my sugar cookies are when I use the girls' eggs.

One thing I've noticed, and maybe one of you can explain, when I whip eggs in a bowl, say for an omelet, they leave a thick almost buttery coating of egg on the sides of the bowl after I pour the rest out. Store bought eggs don't do that, which makes me wonder about the fat content and the rate the fat breaks down in long-stored eggs.

Last edited:
Quote:
do i want to know what a black soldier fly is and why you raise them???? ewwwww:sick

Pink

gig.gif

It is a wasp looking fly that doesn't bite or bother humans and the larvae look like dark, fat mealworms. I raise them because the larvae are a wonderful and healthy treat for my chickens. Yep, they do have an ick factor but you never have to touch them.

But this thread is about cookies so I'll say no more about it lol.

Quote:
I use unsalted butter. I also take them out just as soon as the edges are browned b/c my family likes the cookies to be the softer, chewier kind of cookie.

thank you

Yes, your eggs make a difference in chocolate chip cookies. The "custard" component of chocolate chip cookies is very important to the flavor.

Using the exact same recipes, the Tollhouse cookies come out different for every baker, so technique is as important as ingredients for that recipe.

If your cookies are superior, not only are your eggs better, but you are a better cook. Or at least a better cookie baker.

[[[[......When you make them, what do you use as a fat? I'm having a heck of a time with them spreading and coming out crispy.....]]]]

If you want them to spread out and get crispy, take your flour and remove a tablespoon of it. If those aren't thin enough and crispy enough, remove 2 tablespoons of four and try it that way. When the recipe was written, everybody automatically sifted flour when they baked. Hardly anyone sifts any more and if you scoop the flour right out of the package, you'll be using a bit more flour than if you sift first and then measure.

If you don't want them to spread out and you want thick softer cookies, increase the flour just a little bit and use cold fat when you mix the dough. If the fat is cold, it gives the edges a chance to set before the fat melts and spreads.

I use real butter because it gives a wonderful flavor and crisps the edges well. But I take the cookies out of the oven when the center is half done.

They continue to cook a bit and I get crispy edges and a gooey center.

Incidentally, if you are buying flour, you will get immensely better flavor if you use unbleached flour. The color won't be as pretty, but the taste is noticeably different.

Back
Top Bottom