Are my ducks too fat ??

Are my ducks too fat ??

• Total voters

Poultry2017

In the Brooder
Oct 1, 2017
I feel like my ducks are very fat and I was just wondering if I’m feeding them wrong. They are approx 18wks old and they are on growers pellets. They are not for the table they are just pets. I don’t know that I want to give them layers pellets because I’m not a big fan of duck eggs and I don’t know anyone that is that I could give them to. They are a bit scared of vegetables so that rules that one out. I don’t even know if they aren’t overweight. Also is it normal that they have those ring things around their necks ??

Attachments

• EAE1FE7D-A4DC-495E-BDC6-488A9C1BEDB4.jpeg
    EAE1FE7D-A4DC-495E-BDC6-488A9C1BEDB4.jpeg
    375.7 KB · Views: 65
  • 76868641-B969-4C24-96F3-FF547E5CFD7E.jpeg
    76868641-B969-4C24-96F3-FF547E5CFD7E.jpeg
    882.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 668BB465-9C4B-4501-AB2D-93B5A93F89BD.jpeg
    668BB465-9C4B-4501-AB2D-93B5A93F89BD.jpeg
    837.8 KB · Views: 46
I agree with sourland. They don't look too fat. They look pretty normal to me. When they get too fat, they aren't as active and they have to sit down a lot just like a heavy set human. If they don't get enough calcium when they are laying eggs, their bodies will take it from their bones which is obviously very bad for them lol.

What happens as they mature they sort of bottom out in the back end....Like we all do with age...:lau
Your Ducks look good ....I feed Duck finisher or friends feed a Turkey finisher...I also use Oat and Barley crumble and old style scratch grain it has less corn....I mix it...

Here are some additional pictures: Are THESE ducks too fat??? Whenever I pick them up they seem supremely well-padded (unlike the chickens on which I can feel their bones and who seem a whole lot more "taut"). I can't imagine feeling any keel in there.....
Ducks July 28.jpg

I feel like my ducks are very fat and I was just wondering if I’m feeding them wrong. They are approx 18wks old and they are on growers pellets. They are not for the table they are just pets. I don’t know that I want to give them layers pellets because I’m not a big fan of duck eggs and I don’t know anyone that is that I could give them to. They are a bit scared of vegetables so that rules that one out. I don’t even know if they aren’t overweight. Also is it normal that they have those ring things around their necks ??
Layer pellets don’t “make them lay”. They will lay anyways, but the layer pellets have the correct amount of protein. And calcium for the shells.
Basically, if you don’t feed them the layer pellets, they won’t be hea because they will have too much protein in their diets, and will be weak because they will have to draw calcium from their own bones to make eggshells.

I'm not a big fan of duck eggs for eating. However, they are excellent to use for baking. During laying season I lightly scramble 2 together in a bowl, not cooked, and then freeze that for later use. Give some to a friend who claims they are best choice for making pasta.

Back
Top Bottom