Are My Ducks Welsh Harlequins?

Akpahsj

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 9, 2011
Alberta, Canada
I posted this in what breed is this because I didn't know there was a duck section!
tongue.png
So, someone told me that my drake is a Welsh Harlequin and my Hen is a Buff Orphington cross, But I forgot to mention that her feathers are missing on her neck, chest, and the end of her wings. We bought her like this, I'm guessing it was because the drake was stressed and pecked at her in the very small cage they were in.

5802765402_bb865e3299.jpg

The drake seems to be pure welsh harlequin, the hen isn't a Welsh Harlequin most likely. She's too solid of a beige to be a WH, IMO.

They both look pretty beat up. The feathers missing from the neck and back are likely from the hen being over bred by randy males. If she's your only female I'd consider penning them separate but next to each other so they can see each other, but the drake doesn't hurt the hen.

The drake look like a welsh harlequin, yes. When his feathers grow back he's going to be very beautiful!

As for the hen, I'm not quite sure. She does look a lot like a buff. It will be a lot easier to tell once her feathers grow back!

I would keep them together but just keep an eye on them. If the drake looks like he's aggressive or trying to mate with her a lot, separation may be the thing to do or you can get more females. If there are more females then he'll have others to "play" with and she won't get as beat. Ducks don't like to be alone so I would try to keep them together if you can.

Back
Top Bottom