Are my eggs ruined?

bloom chicks

Songster
8 Years
Jun 6, 2011
FL
I came home today at 4:30pm and my broody hen was in the wrong nest. (apparently she forgot which nest was hers), I checked the eggs, they felt cool to the touch. We checked on her earlier in the day at 1:30pm and all was fine.
Theres no telling how long she was actually off of the eggs. I have since crated her, and she is back to sitting on them.
Are the eggs ruined now?? Any advice or input would be much appreciated.

No I think you have a good chance at a decent hatch. They might be a little late (it is always good to wait 3 days past the due date unless they look bad on candling or smell bad anyways).

I have had one broody hen go to the wrong nest for a few hours too and all was fine. Of course I sneak a candling session with the eggs when she is off the nest (I lift her off) in the morning to eat and drink, a couple of times during the setting period.

Thank you. I am hoping all is well. Today is day 5. I have no idea what I am looking at when I put a flashlight up to one of the eggs. LOL

Wow What an awesome site you sent me. Will I be able to see that on green eggs as well? I have brown eggs and green eggs.

Thanks. I guess I will just wait and see. Mama is still sitting. She is turning them as well, I did take my flash light out to night and pulled out one egg just to see and more than half of the egg was dark. Is that a good sign? I can't really see any details and it also felt heavy. I am hoping and praying that they are still good.

I also noticed that Mama didn't relieve herself today.. I have the door closed to the dog crate so she doesn't go to the wrong nest again, the crate is big enough where she can get off the nest to do her business if she needs to. She is eating, not a lot but is eating and drinking.

Thanks. I guess I will just wait and see. Mama is still sitting. She is turning them as well, I did take my flash light out to night and pulled out one egg just to see and more than half of the egg was dark. Is that a good sign? I can't really see any details and it also felt heavy. I am hoping and praying that they are still good.

I also noticed that Mama didn't relieve herself today.. I have the door closed to the dog crate so she doesn't go to the wrong nest again, the crate is big enough where she can get off the nest to do her business if she needs to. She is eating, not a lot but is eating and drinking.

I just now saw your post as I seem to be missing email updates of some threads I am supposed to be subscribed to.

She may feel that the whole dog crate is her nest and be reluctant to poo in there. Broody poos are notorious for being foul-smelling. I would remove her once a day and let her free range just a bit with you watching her. She will poo within 2 minutes and stretch her legs. She needs this desperately for her well-being. Then grab her after 5 minutes and put her back in. Just my opinion!

I am not an expert at candling and so would hesitate to advise you on whether the egg is still good.

I hope all goes well!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom