Are My Eggs Still Viable???????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TACEYPERKINS, Jan 24, 2010.

1. TACEYPERKINS

TACEYPERKINS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Medford,Oregon
    Hi all- I live in Ca. And all last week we had a rain storm that come thru and soaked everything. Including my coops! Well I had a pullet that had been stock pilling eggs, and during that rainstorm her nest was overcome with water. I go out there today and she has now decided to sit on those eggs. Go figure!Anyways, I was wondering do you think they could still be viable after sitting in cold water?

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    I had a hen do that during one of our recent Tennessee monsoons. i personally didn't even attempt it. They were muddy and nasty by the time i got to them and she only wanted to sit on them about an hour that day, so I took them.

3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    Idaho
    Technically yes. But Henny Penny ain't gonna sit where the sky is falling.

4. TACEYPERKINS

Mar 2, 2009
    Medford,Oregon
    I was planning on taking them today. But when I went out there she was clucking and talking at my hand. So Do you think I should take them away fom her?

5. TACEYPERKINS

Mar 2, 2009
    Medford,Oregon
    Anyone please?

6. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I dunno? Are they important eggs, or can you just wait and collect more, later? Is she on a dry nest?

7. TACEYPERKINS

Mar 2, 2009
    Medford,Oregon
    Hey Kathy- I see you on the delaware thread everyday. Thanks for responding. Yes they are kinda important. They are my Java eggs. I know she will continue to lay more, But, I just didn't want to through them out if they were possibley good. And no it is still wet. I didn't want to touch her. Should I give her new bedding? One of the problem is she is a pullet, and I didn't want to ruin her mojo, it is her first go at this.

8. kathyinmo

Quote:If you can get more fresh eggs, and a dry nest ... I think that would be better. Sitting in a wet nest will cause mold and bacteria to form. I wouldn't do it, but I dunno.

9. TACEYPERKINS

Mar 2, 2009
    Medford,Oregon
    Thanks thats what I was thinking , I didn't want to go and toss them if there was a possibility. Ok one more question....if I take these away will she go into laying mode again or do I have to wait a while?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  10. kathyinmo

Ya just never know about those things! It's a kinda wait and see thing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by