Are my hens show quality?

cackleberrycam

Songster
6 Years
Sep 28, 2013
Hello! I am new to the showing world, and I have a few questions:
First of all, if I show my birds, what will the judges be looking for?
How can I make my birds have a good impression on the judges?
Is there any trick to showing birds that you use?

Here are the birds that I want to show:
Are they show worthy? Sorry! They are REALLY low quality pictures so I can go take some more pics if needed. I just took these pics today:

Tarah:

Pearl:

Mary:

Thank you!

Again, sorry for the really bad pictures! If you need me to take better ones, please tell me so.

big_smile.png

Last edited:
I am assuming these birds all came from Murray McMurray. The hard reality is that if you wish to show birds, it is best to attend a major poultry show near you. There you'll see the exhibition stock, meet and talk to breeders and judges. You'll need to purchase an American Standard of Perfection from the American Poultry Society. You'll need a mentor, someone to teach, guide and encourage you along the way. The task is a life long pursuit and requires passion and commitment. There are no shortcuts.

No. If you wish to exhibit, you'll need to begin with stock from a top breeder of the breed upon which you wish to focus. Most experienced folks will tell you that should begin with one breed and place your focus there.

Best of luck in your interest and in your possible new endeavor.

I am assuming these birds all came from Murray McMurray. The hard reality is that if you wish to show birds, it is best to attend a major poultry show near you. There you'll see the exhibition stock, meet and talk to breeders and judges. You'll need to purchase an American Standard of Perfection from the American Poultry Society. You'll need a mentor, someone to teach, guide and encourage you along the way. The task is a life long pursuit and requires passion and commitment. There are no shortcuts.

No. If you wish to exhibit, you'll need to begin with stock from a top breeder of the breed upon which you wish to focus. Most experienced folks will tell you that should begin with one breed and place your focus there.

Best of luck in your interest and in your possible new endeavor.
Thanks! I was just planning on showing them at our little county fair- Most people just throw birds in our fair that l think look really bad, so I thought mine looked good compared to there ones that are usually in our fair. I guess I should have made that more clear.
big_smile.png

I was not wanting to go into serious showing. HAHAHA

Last edited:
Thanks! I was just planning on showing them at our little county fair- Most people just throw birds in our fair that l think look really bad,
well your birds are from a Hatchery which is a step or two above "County Backyard" Breeders that dont kow much about breeding Hatchery stock..

so it goes like this. SQ Birds>Hatchery stock from Top Hatcheries> Backyard bred from Hatchery stock birds, these birds can look very bad if not bred properly

If yoyu want your birds to make a good impression on the judge you could try wrapping a $50 bill around their legs.

{PS-this is a joke! No matter what you've heard judges don't take bribes]

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom