Are my roos too aggressive to keep?

Thank you so much everyone for great advice. Wish we had been lucky enough to get the shy types. I'll miss my once-sweet Orpington roo
hit.gif

but it's for the best we think to find them both a new home asap.

Maybe it's the meanness that adds spice to the broth but those suckers sure make good chicken and dumplins! My last roo that attacked my grandson (11 at the time) lasted just long enough for me to get the hatchet out of the tool room. I have a Jersey Giant now that is huge and is a total pussycat and my main coop has a white leghorn cross that knows I rule the roost. No problems for me or the kids.

Quote:
Good idea. Just make sure the new owners know that they're mean and have attacked your son. Can you keep them penned up until you get rid of them so your son can go outside?

Have you ever been around one of those evil, ankle biting pooches?

Ever known someone with little hellions they call children?

It's really a shame to me that dominance and submission to most people is well, not for family oriented sites. To even mention it, makes most people cringe. Even what we call alpha male behavior in people isn't really an alpha male... its a narcissist.

My RIR cockerel, about 4.5 months, is trying to act like he's the king of the roost. While he may become a dominant flock leader, for now he's not. If you don't have the time and patience to work with him, then put your children and your own sanity first... get rid of them. I on the other hand, do take the time to work with Roo. You can't treat him like most parents treat their kids. You know what I mean, yelling and screaming when there bad, or spanking when YOU are angry. It takes resolve, severe patience, and a quiet confidence most people in our modern world have zero of. You are to help teach, set boundaries, and love with a firm hand.

You know, speak softly and carry a big stick. The stick isn't literal, its your attitude.

When Roo (the cockerel) gets TOO aggressive with the ladies, he gets a long, deep, stern ROOOOOOO. He stops and looks at me. After the first couple of times now Mr. Vic (the year old RIR/ Maran) steps in to settle him down. Vic only gets loud when he crows. He has the same low, quiet dominant voice I use. A low bark and Roo lowers his head and backs away slowly. It isn't working because I'm making him defensive by chasing him around, its because I'm setting a boundary and then I'm backing it up. He is a rooster, after all. I don't want to change his nature. He needs some aggressiveness to manage a flock. The boundary is who to be aggressive with, and when.

If you don't have those traits in yourself or your mate, then don't fight a losing battle. Get rid of them, and then go find it for yourself. You will notice how most problems in your life will slowly correct themselves, if they haven't gone past the tipping point.

mean roo goes to freezer camp. Your child could really get hurt by an aggressive roo. Pen them up or cull ASAP!!!! Dont worry about the )&^&^$&$#$& chicken you have a child at risk

Quote:
I know you're new to chickens......at least that is what you've said in other posts.....so your thinking on handling of mean roos may change over time.

Those of us who have had chickens a long time know there are too many good roos out there to waste time trying to "tame" a mean roo. Who wants that trait continued in your flock? I certainly don't.

Quote:
Same here. If a rooster goes after a person, it dies here.

I don't want to foist a mean rooster on an unsuspecting and possibly inexperienced chicken owner and have it injure THEIR children. That's not being responsible. I've rehomed skittish cockerels letting the new owners know that they are skittish, but I would never rehome a mean one. It dies. End of story.

Where in the "Bluegrass" are you? What age is your son?

Mean roosters need to go to freezer camp, not into the gene pool. But if you try again with others...

I have a 7 year old daughter and 11 year old son. I have always made it a point to have them help me with chicken care, particularly tasks that involve holding the birds. Give your son a flag or a stick to help you when getting everyone into the coop. Show him how to back up the rooster, stomping his feet and doing the rooster dance. Hold the bird yourself and make it accept petting from your son. Work up to teaching your child how to hold them. If you need help or want to ask questions, pm me.

Back
Top Bottom