Are my silkies bright enough to leave the coop when hot/move to shade when outside?!

Hi there!! I am in southern Ontario with Silkies too, about the same age, and had the same issue. The first week- week and a half was a nightmare. They were panting, not coming outside etc. I had to manually put them out in the morning and throughout the day. It was ours first time being outside at all so I think that had something to do with it. Since then (we are on week 3) they are no longer panting (its been much hotter a few days than the first week), and are using the ramp like champs. It took them much longer than the other ones who aren't silkies to figure out the ramp. I also built a little porch type spot that attached to the ramp so they could have more space as they were curious about the ramp but not really using it to go down at first. So they would block it for the others.

Our issue now is they don't want to use the ramp to go back in at night time. They use it all throughout the day but when it's dusk they just huddle together and go to sleep outside in their run.

Hi there!! I am in southern Ontario with Silkies too, about the same age, and had the same issue. The first week- week and a half was a nightmare. They were panting, not coming outside etc. I had to manually put them out in the morning and throughout the day. It was ours first time being outside at all so I think that had something to do with it. Since then (we are on week 3) they are no longer panting (its been much hotter a few days than the first week), and are using the ramp like champs. It took them much longer than the other ones who aren't silkies to figure out the ramp. I also built a little porch type spot that attached to the ramp so they could have more space as they were curious about the ramp but not really using it to go down at first. So they would block it for the others.

Our issue now is they don't want to use the ramp to go back in at night time. They use it all throughout the day but when it's dusk they just huddle together and go to sleep outside in their run.

Thanks for your response! Great to hear from someone local with similar circumstances! Whereabouts in SO are you? I’m in Haldimand County close to the shores of Erie/the Grand River.

I’m glad to know that your chooks are starting to figure it out - and I LOVE the idea of a porch! We added a bit of a wood pile beside the ramp that they can also maneuver down/perch on, and so far 1/4 has started using it. I guess patience really is a virtue with these guys!

They’ve also now learned to seek shade and I put several more water dispensers in the shady areas they like to hang out in. Mine also huddle outside around 7:45-8pm and won’t go in, but I’ll keep consistently guiding them up every night & hope for the best.

I think they are finally starting to enjoy outdoor life!

Attachments

• 7141DF0B-BE24-4594-8C7F-AC5E7739BE08.jpeg
    7141DF0B-BE24-4594-8C7F-AC5E7739BE08.jpeg
    759.3 KB · Views: 6
Thanks for your response! Great to hear from someone local with similar circumstances! Whereabouts in SO are you? I’m in Haldimand County close to the shores of Erie/the Grand River.

I’m glad to know that your chooks are starting to figure it out - and I LOVE the idea of a porch! We added a bit of a wood pile beside the ramp that they can also maneuver down/perch on, and so far 1/4 has started using it. I guess patience really is a virtue with these guys!

They’ve also now learned to seek shade and I put several more water dispensers in the shady areas they like to hang out in. Mine also huddle outside around 7:45-8pm and won’t go in, but I’ll keep consistently guiding them up every night & hope for the best.

I think they are finally starting to enjoy outdoor life!
Those are some adorable chickens!!!! 🐓❤️

Back
Top Bottom