Are my Silkies up to par for showing?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by RIRJen, Aug 29, 2011.

1. RIRJen

RIRJen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    I have a small flock of silkies and wanted to get some opinions on them as "show silkies". You can say whatever you want about them, I'm used to showing rabbits and getting constructive comments on my animals [​IMG]
    Black pair...
    [​IMG]
    one of my black hens...
    [​IMG]
    another shot...
    [​IMG]
    showgirl chick...still do not know sex...any guesses?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    shot of most of the flock... my black Roo is on the bottom, nice black hen to the right of him and showgirl is top center [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  2. short pup

short pup New Egg

Aug 29, 2011
    i like the showgirl [​IMG]
    Quote:

3. BirdNut

BirdNut Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2010
    Suprise, Arizona
    They are gorgeous! Those are some really nice topknots on them! I'd say yes, but first... How is the toe spacing and toe count? Do they have all five, with a decent distance apart from each other?

How black is the black roo's comb? If it's mohogany, that'll be a DQ. It should at least be a dark mulberry.

4. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    well the first roo can't be shown because of the silver leakage in the hackels other than that I don't know about the others

5. Kaelinstorm

Kaelinstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Lampasas
    Oh my!! I dont like naked necked chickens but I admit I actually really adore your Showgirl! It sure is pretty!!! [​IMG]

6. RIRJen

Mar 7, 2008
    Quote:I'll take a look at his comb tomorrow...his name is Capt' Poofy Pants [​IMG] I'll have to search through all that poof to see it...I'll try to get a natural light picture of it too.
    Toes are all there, but I don't know about spacing....want me to flip them over and take a picture (once they relax with toes spread) or is there a prefered way? I have a chick that has a tiny 6th toe on one foot! weird!!! [​IMG]

7. Kaelinstorm

Kaelinstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Lampasas
  8. RIRJen

Mar 7, 2008
    Quote:You know, the flash on the camera made his color look really funky...he looks completely black. I'll try to get a picture of him in the daylight. He was in the barn and it was getting dark so the flash was going off on my camera. I had another roo at one point in time that had horrible silver leaking...I don't know why his color did this in this photo.

9. RIRJen

Mar 7, 2008
    Quote:Ya, I figured...it'll go to a pet home [​IMG]

10. BirdNut

BirdNut Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2010
    Suprise, Arizona
    Quote:I'll take a look at his comb tomorrow...his name is Capt' Poofy Pants [​IMG] I'll have to search through all that poof to see it...I'll try to get a natural light picture of it too.
    Toes are all there, but I don't know about spacing....want me to flip them over and take a picture (once they relax with toes spread) or is there a prefered way? I have a chick that has a tiny 6th toe on one foot! weird!!! [​IMG]

A picture would be helpful. [​IMG]

Don't feel bad about the bird with the sixth toe, I had a blue girl with five and a half on each foot. [​IMG] It just happens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by