Are my Silkies up to par for showing?

RIRJen

Songster
11 Years
Mar 7, 2008
I have a small flock of silkies and wanted to get some opinions on them as "show silkies". You can say whatever you want about them, I'm used to showing rabbits and getting constructive comments on my animals
smile.png

Black pair...
7110_blkpair.jpg

one of my black hens...
7110_blkhen1.jpg

another shot...
7110_hen.jpg

showgirl chick...still do not know sex...any guesses?
7110_0807011602.jpg

7110_showgirl0811.jpg

shot of most of the flock... my black Roo is on the bottom, nice black hen to the right of him and showgirl is top center
smile.png

7110_flock.jpg

Last edited:
They are gorgeous! Those are some really nice topknots on them! I'd say yes, but first... How is the toe spacing and toe count? Do they have all five, with a decent distance apart from each other?

How black is the black roo's comb? If it's mohogany, that'll be a DQ. It should at least be a dark mulberry.

Last edited:
Quote:
I'll take a look at his comb tomorrow...his name is Capt' Poofy Pants
lol.png
I'll have to search through all that poof to see it...I'll try to get a natural light picture of it too.
Toes are all there, but I don't know about spacing....want me to flip them over and take a picture (once they relax with toes spread) or is there a prefered way? I have a chick that has a tiny 6th toe on one foot! weird!!!
tongue.png

Quote:
You know, the flash on the camera made his color look really funky...he looks completely black. I'll try to get a picture of him in the daylight. He was in the barn and it was getting dark so the flash was going off on my camera. I had another roo at one point in time that had horrible silver leaking...I don't know why his color did this in this photo.

Quote:
I'll take a look at his comb tomorrow...his name is Capt' Poofy Pants
lol.png
I'll have to search through all that poof to see it...I'll try to get a natural light picture of it too.
Toes are all there, but I don't know about spacing....want me to flip them over and take a picture (once they relax with toes spread) or is there a prefered way? I have a chick that has a tiny 6th toe on one foot! weird!!!
tongue.png

A picture would be helpful.
smile.png

Don't feel bad about the bird with the sixth toe, I had a blue girl with five and a half on each foot.
tongue.png
It just happens.

Back
Top Bottom