Are my Silkies up to par for showing?

Quote:
I'll take a look at his comb tomorrow...his name is Capt' Poofy Pants
lol.png
I'll have to search through all that poof to see it...I'll try to get a natural light picture of it too.
Toes are all there, but I don't know about spacing....want me to flip them over and take a picture (once they relax with toes spread) or is there a prefered way? I have a chick that has a tiny 6th toe on one foot! weird!!!
tongue.png

A picture would be helpful.
smile.png

Don't feel bad about the bird with the sixth toe, I had a blue girl with five and a half on each foot.
tongue.png
It just happens.

yeah, it's not quite a "toe"...more like a nub
lol.png

Quote:
You know, the flash on the camera made his color look really funky...he looks completely black. I'll try to get a picture of him in the daylight. He was in the barn and it was getting dark so the flash was going off on my camera. I had another roo at one point in time that had horrible silver leaking...I don't know why his color did this in this photo.

Black Silkies are the hardest color to photograph. The flash washes them out to a brownish gray and causes shiny reflections that look silvery. Your best best is natural light, but not in the shade because then they will look like a black featureless blob.

I think the showgirl looks like a girl.
smile.png
I have one about the same age and he has a definite comb and a back swept crest already.

Your black roo has a nice shape to him. He's got the big round crest and puffy round butt that he should have. Definitely have a look at those feet - the more feathering on the toes the better. Ideally, each toe should have some feathering (but plenty of silkies are shown that don't). And the toes should be distinct toes, not growing out of the side of the other toes, etc. Silkies can sure have some funky-looking feet! I had one once that had seven toes on one foot, six on the other. She was of course a pet. And silkies make awesome pets, that's for sure.

Quote:

I think the showgirl looks like a girl.
smile.png
I have one about the same age and he has a definite comb and a back swept crest already.

I think it's a girl too...just the way it acts
smile.png
Is there an "easy" way to sex silkies? I've been told the easiest way is once they crow they are roo's and if they lay an egg thier a hen LOL
gig.gif
I have a bunch of pretty chicks growing up right now and wanted to thin out the roo's if possible. I'll get some pictures of them too!

Quote:
I'll have to get a picture of my white roo...I'm not in love with his facial "poof" like I am the black roo, but the white roo has an insane amount of feathering on the outside sides of his legs and his feet!

Back
Top Bottom