Are my two Black Australorps ever going to lay normal eggs?

Quote:
huh.. mine does that..

Look chickie.. a nice comfy straw nest... you wanna lay in the nest dont you
Chicken looks at nest, decides its not edible and continues laying from the nest into the nights poop buildup
he.gif
th.gif

From my observation (I have six BA's) the soft rubber shell and dropping the eggs from the roost go together. When the shells get harder, they lay the eggs in the nest with the most golf balls.

The paper thin and shellless eggs are a thing of the past (at least for now) at my house. I can think of four changes:

1) put oyster shell in the food and out for free choice (not every day anymore, but every so often)
2) started putting ACV (apple cider vinegar) in the water.
3) switched from pellets to crumbles and put more food out (I'd leave the food out free choice, but the wild doves get in it)
4) They got a month older.

I have 2 degrees in science. I have no idea why the ACV works, but I am convinced that it helps. I don't use the organic stuff with the mother in it that everyone swears by. I probably would, but I sent my mom to the store the first time and she came home with regular distilled brown ACV. I was feeling desperate so started it right away. Out here in the desert, I have at least 3 waterers at all times. I usually only have the ACV in one - in case they need a break from it. It needs to go in a plastic one otherwise it corrodes the metal off, not good for the chickens. I use 1T per gallon and at first put it in the water located near their afternoon hangout. In 110 plus, they stayed there during the hottest part of the day and I am sure drank a good dose from it.

Now, I started the ACV due to a lethargic sick hen. (I was very, very worried. ) However, I think it helped with the eggs too.

As previously mentioned, I also switched to layer crumbles and put more out. They like it better and ate it with more gusto. I was concerned they weren't eating enough of the layer food to get needed nutrients and wanted to make sure they got all they needed.

I don't really know which thing made the difference and once in a while I get soft egg or a white one, but not like it used to be with shelless ones or paper thin ones dropped from the roost every night.

Another possibility, I suppose, is that the young layers got older and better at laying...but I think that is only a small factor.

Thanks for the advice. I do have 2 waterers so I'll give the acv a try in one of them.
My DH is thinking "lay or else"
rant.gif

I hope they come around; i'd love to say "I told you so".
tongue2.gif

Did the ACV help your sick hen?

You are welcome. This is a great place (BYC). I love learning and sharing with everyone.

Yes, the lethargic hen perked up after a couple of days. Thank you for asking.

On egg production, there is another thread running around today that suggests adding protein for the fall to help with egg production and a couple of threads on artificial light too. I haven't had layers in the winter yet, but do have 3 BA's newly recovered from being broody that are now molting and still aren't laying. I think I'll try upping the protein.

Since you have BA's, you might also want to read up on broody hens...I had the idea that they'd come out of it on their own...that didn't work out well. I think 4 of my 6 BA hens went broody this summer - in 115 plus weather yet.

I expect your chance at I told you so is coming.

Last edited:
Thank you Cheerful! I saw the thread on protein. I think it's worth a shot. I fed the scrambled egg with the shells ground in it this morning. They loved it! Personally, I like em a little less gritty.
tongue.png

I'm not going to start that everyday, after all, my eggs are too special for that. I love this Forum. So glad i finally joined the fun.
ya.gif

Mary Ann, they are "losing" the eggs before the shells have had time to fully develop. There's no decision on their part to lay from the roost.

They must be young pullets. Pullets will usually have problems with laying and then things will settle down. However, I've had BA laying hens a number of times. They always have fairly thin shelled eggs.

The Barred Rock eggs will have hard shells, the Buffs' eggs will have hard shells. Oyster shell is always out for them. I've actually wondered if it may have something to do with their pigmentation . . . ? (Now watch for someone to say that their BA's have eggs like cannon balls
roll.png
.)

Theirs is a wonderful breed, however. None that I'm more fond of.

Steve

Thanks, digitS', I figured it was a nature thing and not a nurture thing.
Yes they are young pullets. So I guess I should just give them more time. I'm curious about the shell thickness thing. As long as they lay in the nice bedded box the thin shells would be OK.
Glad to hear they are a favorite. I feel guilty favoring my RIR since they are laying perfect eggs. I love all my critters.

Back
Top Bottom