Are nipple waterers hard to keep clean?

That gives me hope for when they get older! I might wait until they're 4-5 weeks old and try again.

It can take some time for them to get used to it.

I started by tucking mealworms into the nipples so that they'd discover wetness when they took the mealworm.

Then I started taking the other waterer out at night and not putting it back right away -- a little later each day until I was 100% certain that they were drinking from the nipple waterer.

Don't forget the little vent hole at the top to break the vacuum. They can't get water against the vacuum if it's completely sealed.

My 12 birds drink about 3 gallons a week. I have my 5 gallon bucket with a clear hose sight glass so I can see the level easy and a 2 inch pvc pipe so I can fill the bucket from outside the run.

I have my whole setup so the only time I really have to step in my coop or run is to fill the 2 bucket feeders. Just aint figured out a cheap and simple way to fill them from outside the coop yet.

That gives me hope for when they get older! I might wait until they're 4-5 weeks old and try again.

Standard chicks might be able to do it at around 3 weeks, but by 4 or 5 they definitely should.

This chick is 27 days old:
early9.jpg

I use a nipple waterer, specifically this type. In my experience the cover and the red nipple part do tend to collect some dust over time, but this is fairly easy to wipe off. I have never actually had to take the waterer apart and clean it. For me they are great because they do not spill and no bedding, dirt, or dust gets into the water.
I keep an old toothbrush to run over the inside and outside of the nipples when I change the water. Never had a problem-love this style waterer.

My girls are moving into the coop soon and I need to get a waterer and feeder for out there. Was considering a nipple waterer but read a bit about them being hard to clean (well so is cleaning bedding out of water numerous times a day LOL) Thx
None are hard to clean and since your birds should have clean water every day it stays clean . I myself have a couple different kinds . I have a hanging one with under mount nipples , which to be honest took them along time to figure out but it was fine because we also have 1 gallon fountain type . I keep the nipple one with fresh cool water and the fountain type have a tablespoon of Apple cider vinegar in them so they have a choice. I myself believe water is the most important part of keeping your birds happy and healthy.
I use a nipple waterer, specifically this type. In my experience the cover and the red nipple part do tend to collect some dust over time, but this is fairly easy to wipe off. I have never actually had to take the waterer apart and clean it. For me they are great because they do not spill and no bedding, dirt, or dust gets into the water

Hey, I have had nipple waterers for a bit now but for some reason, they stop giving water some times and I have to check them all the time. I love the concept but they are a little hard to manage.

Hey, I have had nipple waterers for a bit now but for some reason, they stop giving water some times and I have to check them all the time. I love the concept but they are a little hard to manage.
Is there an air intake hole in your waterer to prevent a vacuum from forming?

Are the nipples reasonably clean and moving properly when tapped/poked at?

Is there an air intake hole in your waterer to prevent a vacuum from forming?

Are the nipples reasonably clean and moving properly when tapped/poked at?
I never thought about the vacuum, I have a lid but there is a hole in it so the water can go in it has a plug for it I just have to find it......

they are clean but they still will either leak constantly or not give any water.

I never thought about the vacuum, I have a lid but there is a hole in it so the water can go in it has a plug for it I just have to find it......

they are clean but they still will either leak constantly or not give any water.
I did have one nipple in 6 years that leaked. It happened this fall. To fix it I removed the leaking nipple and replaced it with a new one. There is one other thing you can try. You just might have the nipples screwed in too tightly. I read somewhere to not screw the nipples in all the way but to leave a little space.

Back
Top Bottom