Are nipple waterers hard to keep clean?

Nipple waterers are the easiest waterer to keep clean. They are a nearly sealed system so no dirt can get into them. As a result they don't need cleaning often. The new nipple waterer I put out in November is just now going to be cleaned for the first time. Water is still clean but algae is starting to grow with the warm weather. I'll clean it out and put some copper pennies in it to retard the growth of algae. I'll be looking around for a dark colored container that will not let light in and algae grow. At the moment my container is a clear tote with lid.

Been using horizontal nipples for 2 years now and will never go back. I have them in a black bucket and clean it once a year in the fall. All I do it dump the water out and pressure wash the bucket inside and out. Have only taken the nipples apart one time and seen it wasn't needed so I don't bother anymore.

Yeah chickens are a lazy creature. If there is a muddy hole in the run they will drink from it instead of the nipples. Birds have been around a very long time doing this so oh well.

Back
Top Bottom