Are older (10+ days) hatching eggs more likely to produce unhealthy chicks?

house_hippo

Chirping
Mar 26, 2022
Canada
Hi all,

I just wrapped up my first ever hatch on Tuesday, and I'm already planning the next one.

I only have two hens whose eggs I will be incubating, so gathering enough eggs to fill my 28-egg incubator is not a realistic goal.

However I would like to maximize the number of eggs that I put in, and I can't seem to find any information regarding the health of chicks hatched from eggs that are older. I understand that hatch rates start to drop after 7 days, and viability after 21 days is nearly zero. But what I don't want to hatch out unhealthy chicks if it can be avoided. Is there a range between those numbers where incubation is still worthwhile?

My last hatch, I only used eggs under 10 days old. Would it be reasonable to stretch that to 14 days? I have been storing my hatching eggs in a cool basement, turning them once daily.

Thanks in advance, I appreciate any and all advice!

Hi all,

I just wrapped up my first ever hatch on Tuesday, and I'm already planning the next one.

I only have two hens whose eggs I will be incubating, so gathering enough eggs to fill my 28-egg incubator is not a realistic goal.

However I would like to maximize the number of eggs that I put in, and I can't seem to find any information regarding the health of chicks hatched from eggs that are older. I understand that hatch rates start to drop after 7 days, and viability after 21 days is nearly zero. But what I don't want to hatch out unhealthy chicks if it can be avoided. Is there a range between those numbers where incubation is still worthwhile?

My last hatch, I only used eggs under 10 days old. Would it be reasonable to stretch that to 14 days? I have been storing my hatching eggs in a cool basement, turning them once daily.

Thanks in advance, I appreciate any and all advice!
I jsut finished a hatch in which I had a few eggs that were like two in a half weeks! It was my second hatch so I'm still learning but all the chicks are very healthy.

I often hatch chicks from eggs that are two weeks old at the time of setting.
The only thing that happens with older eggs is the viability goes down and they are less likely to develop. Any chicks that do hatch should be just as healthy as any others.😊
Try to turn the hatching eggs while you are waiting to collect the rest at least 2 to 3 times a day if possible.

I've hatched my own flock eggs half were 3 to 4 weeks old other half was 1 to 2 weeks old. All eggs in the incubator hatched 10/10.

The reason for the gap between the age of the eggs was that I was collecting from 1 hen.

The rooster and hen were a little over a year old. So fertility was very strong.

My last round had good fertility (14/14) but a few were early quitters and a couple failed to pip. I'm hatching silkies and they don't lay a huge amount of eggs to begin with, about two eggs each every three days.

I often hatch chicks from eggs that are two weeks old at the time of setting.
The only thing that happens with older eggs is the viability goes down and they are less likely to develop. Any chicks that do hatch should be just as healthy as any others.😊
The viability dropping doesn't bother me too much, since I won't be putting any other eggs in the incubator. So even if the eggs older than 10 days had a significant reduction in viability, it would still mean more chicks overall.

Edit: I can absolutely turn the eggs more often!

The viability dropping doesn't bother me too much, since I won't be putting any other eggs in the incubator. So even if the eggs older than 10 days had a significant reduction in viability, it would still mean more chicks overall.

Edit: I can absolutely turn the eggs more often!
I have noticed viability goes down right around 2 1/2 weeks with my own bird’s eggs. So I try to only collect for about two weeks before setting. Good luck with your hatch!😊

sorry I am new so don't have any advice. But I am going to try to set another batch of eggs (first batch didn't seem to develop at all). Should I store them in my basement? they will only be a week old at most and I keep my house at 65 so on the cooler side. Also do I need to turn them if only a week?

The last batch I kept in the house and turned them (tilted the egg carton they were in side to side) once a day since that is what I was told to do. not sure if that is why none developed since I had checked some eggs and they seemed fertilized.

Back
Top Bottom