Are oyster shells needed?

Isabella F

Chirping
Jun 10, 2017
Ct
Hi everyone, my girls have just started laying and I recently got a shell less egg and have some questions. I know that you should give hens calcium using oyster shells and that's what I was planning on doing. I also know that the shell less eggs are normal when pullets just start latong. Then, I went to TSC and was talking to someone who said that her hens haven't touched the shells and are laying fine. I would have still gotten them to try but unfortunately they only came in big bags and I was not going to buy it then find out that they didn't do anything. So, are oyster shells needed?

Multi-part answer:
Having unusual eggs early on is pretty common as their egg system starts working. I've had thin-shelled and double yolks. Yes, it is possible to have a shell-less egg. As long is it doesn't keep happening, she should be fine.

As for oyster shell/calcium, the answer is it depends. Layer feed already has extra calcium, so if you switch to layer feed, you don't necessarily need any form of calcium on the side. I'd bet that is what the TSC person was doing.

One consideration- raised calcium is important for egg layers, but layer feed ideally shouldn't be given to non-egg layers (chicks, roosters, etc). In that case a flock feed with some calcium on the side is a better idea.

Multi-part answer:
Having unusual eggs early on is pretty common as their egg system starts working. I've had thin-shelled and double yolks. Yes, it is possible to have a shell-less egg. As long is it doesn't keep happening, she should be fine.

As for oyster shell/calcium, the answer is it depends. Layer feed already has extra calcium, so if you switch to layer feed, you don't necessarily need any form of calcium on the side. I'd bet that is what the TSC person was doing.

One consideration- raised calcium is important for egg layers, but layer feed ideally shouldn't be given to non-egg layers (chicks, roosters, etc). In that case a flock feed with some calcium on the side is a better idea.
I'm giving pullet feed right now because I have a rooster and two younger pullets that have a couple months too go.

In that case, I'd give them flock feed + calcium on the side. Any girls that feel the need will nosh on it. Also, flock feed gives more protein which has other benefits.

Isabella, if you are not using layer, then you definitely should buy a bag of OS. You can also recycle your egg shells. If the shells are not from your own flock, I strongly urge you to heat sterilize them before giving them to your birds.

Even when I am using layer, I often have a bowl of OS out, and I always recycle my egg shells. The birds eat the extra calcium if they need it. sometimes, they eat quite a bit, other times, it just sits in the bowl and they don't touch it.

Can I buy a smaller bag of the shells? And is there any other things I can use instead of oyster shells, just out of curiosity?

I don't know what your local TSC carries, but their online site has 5 and 50-lb bags. I've used the 5-lb bags for my three girls. Crushed egg shells are a good alternate to oyster shell.

I don't know what your local TSC carries, but their online site has 5 and 50-lb bags. I've used the 5-lb bags for my three girls. Crushed egg shells are a good alternate to oyster shell.
Ok thanks, I don't think I'm going to feed them egg shells though. I'm ok with it but some in my family are not.

Back
Top Bottom