Are peahens loud?

Ari_m

In the Brooder
May 3, 2020
I was wanting to get at least two peahens. - no males. Are the females noisy? I have roosters, but I’ve heard people get extremely annoyed by peacock calls and they can carry on for miles. I read the females don’t do those calls. Also, would multiple females get along? And will they wander if I allow them to free range (on 7 acres) with the chickens? I feed my flock as well, so they wouldn’t need to forage for their food.
There are a couple breeders in my area that nearly always have hens available - I’d love get some.

I was wanting to get at least two peahens. - no males. Are the females noisy? I have roosters, but I’ve heard people get extremely annoyed by peacock calls and they can carry on for miles. I read the females don’t do those calls. Also, would multiple females get along? And will they wander if I allow them to free range (on 7 acres) with the chickens? I feed my flock as well, so they wouldn’t need to forage for their food.
There are a couple breeders in my area that nearly always have hens available - I’d love get some.
The female can be very loud when they're upset; like a braying donkey, but for the most part they are quiet. Multiple females will get along. If you get some, keep them penned until they learn where home is and where they'll get food. My peacock has his noisy moments, but he too, is more often quiet. My ducks are a lot noisier. Unless you have close neighbors, I do not think you'd mind the peafowl calls. Peafowl are great flock protectors attacking dogs, cats, and even the smaller hawks. I have become thankful for the noise the peafowl make as I am quickly alerted to problems in the yard. They fly well. Mine roost near the top of a huge pine in my yard. They do have a tendency to wander even when well fed.

The female can be very loud when they're upset; like a braying donkey, but for the most part they are quiet. Multiple females will get along. If you get some, keep them penned until they learn where home is and where they'll get food. My peacock has his noisy moments, but he too, is more often quiet. My ducks are a lot noisier. Unless you have close neighbors, I do not think you'd mind the peafowl calls. Peafowl are great flock protectors attacking dogs, cats, and even the smaller hawks. I have become thankful for the noise the peafowl make as I am quickly alerted to problems in the yard. They fly well. Mine roost near the top of a huge pine in my yard. They do have a tendency to wander even when well fed.
I absolutely love peacocks and the calls - I wish I could have a male. But I don’t want chance getting complaints. I’m renting the pasture land and it’s more of a rectangular shape, if that makes sense- so the neighboring houses are closer. I’ve heard during the breeding season the males will even call at night. That’s why I’m cautious of it. I might just get the females first, then see about getting a male. I also was wanting them to alert for predators and deter the small Cooper’s hawks in the area. Hopefully it all works out!

Just reading the title of the thread made me smile. Are they loud - oh yeah especially at this time of year. I have 1 peacock and 8 peahens. No one or thing is sneaking down my lane way unannounced.
I live on a dead end road so not many neighbours. I have heard that neighbours have to explain to guests that no one is being murdered down the road.
No one has ever complained to me about the noise. They probably can't hear it over their racing ATVs or snowmobiles. 2 nearest people really believe in free-ranging so there is also lots of noise from roosters, geese, ducks and barking dogs.
Ah the peaceful country life.

I answered quite a while back saying they are sometimes loud. Only loud when there is reason-predators, etc. I would say they are quiet overall. Wonderful birds. My male died last winter. If anyone knows of someone who would sell a few hatching eggs, it would be greatly appreciated and I would be grateful.

For those in the know-Is it possible for a two year peahen to lay. One of my girls has suddenly become fascinated in nest boxes and has visited the nest often over the last two days.

Back
Top Bottom