Are people buying chicks in your area?

Central Jersey. i preordered in no name family run feed store some EEs in February (my original order got replaced with other breeds) and finally got the call to come to pick them up. my instructions were very, very clear. Park in the back and come into the office through back door do not enter the store at all if I needed anything to let them know right away and it will be in the office waiting for me. ?!!?!?!?! 😂
As I was pulling into the parking lot I could see line of people waiting (30ish). When I parked (in the back) I was ushered quickly in showed goods and money exchanged hands. As quickly as I was in I was showed out, not before being asked not to go to into The store or tell people in line that I have just purchased chicks. Its a small store and owner never didn’t expect such an surge in chicken popularly and for the rest of the season he wi have his usual under 50 weekly order (no option for him to up the number from hatchery, pullets sold out for season) . TSC is sold out in the matter of hours except for bantam chicks and chic starter is scarce (at least small packages). Anyhow, I wanted to chime in on the chick situation in the great NJ and writing this I m not sure what did I purchase drugs or baby chicks, 😂😂😂
The Tony Soprano of chickens. :gig

Central Jersey. i preordered in no name family run feed store some EEs in February (my original order got replaced with other breeds) and finally got the call to come to pick them up. my instructions were very, very clear. Park in the back and come into the office through back door do not enter the store at all if I needed anything to let them know right away and it will be in the office waiting for me. ?!!?!?!?! 😂
As I was pulling into the parking lot I could see line of people waiting (30ish). When I parked (in the back) I was ushered quickly in showed goods and money exchanged hands. As quickly as I was in I was showed out, not before being asked not to go to into The store or tell people in line that I have just purchased chicks. Its a small store and owner never expected such an surge in chicken popularly and for the rest of the season will have his usual ,under 50 weekly order of chicks, no option for him to up the number from hatchery, pullets sold out for season) . TSC is sold out in the matter of hours except for bantam chicks and chic starter is scarce (at least small packages). Anyhow, I wanted to chime in on the chick situation in the great NJ and writing this I m not sure what did I purchase, drugs or baby chicks, 😂😂😂
I'm in central NJ as well.. I actually was at my local tractor supply last week they had tons of chicks and ducklings I felt so bad as so many were at least 9 days old and knew most people want the day Olds so I ended up coming home with a bunch of ducklings almost bought a bunch of chicks as well but the breed I wanted was straight run I don't want roosters. I'm in tractor supply at least once a week usually twice so far they always have chicks couple of times this past month they were out of ducklings.

It seems to have slowed in our area in North Carolina. I had loads of queries and purchase a few weeks ago, very few this time, and i have ten newly hatched chicks and up to 20 that will hatch in a week, so... My own flock might be increased dramatically if no one is buying any more...🤪
I don't think people are buying many chicks here (Coastal California). The feed stores seem to have lots of chicks, including ones that are a week or 2 old. I'm seeing some pretty good deals on Craigslist (someone offered me 12 easter egger chicks for $20 if I take them all). To be fair, we've been hit with repeated floods and power outages, so maybe people aren't ready for chicks yet. But egg prices have fallen nationwide, so maybe the "Inflation Chicken" fad is over.

Open Question: How's the chick market in your area?

I'm in central NJ as well.. I actually was at my local tractor supply last week they had tons of chicks and ducklings I felt so bad as so many were at least 9 days old and knew most people want the day Olds so I ended up coming home with a bunch of ducklings almost bought a bunch of chicks as well but the breed I wanted was straight run I don't want roosters. I'm in tractor supply at least once a week usually twice so far they always have chicks couple of times this past month they were out of ducklings.
Me too, I’m thinking that you where at Flamington store I was there last week too and they had two bins whit ducklings one day olds and the other a week old. I was looking what’s in the bins (wasn’t buying) they also had some Wyandotte. I asked about week old ducklings and she said that they got them week old . That was news to me. When I asked where they from hover she did want to answer. I kind of suspected that they are from someone privately obtained (not that it matters to me) but there was at least 6 different breeds in there.

It seems to have slowed in our area in North Carolina. I had loads of queries and purchase a few weeks ago, very few this time, and i have ten newly hatched chicks and up to 20 that will hatch in a week, so... My own flock might be increased dramatically if no one is buying any more...🤪
You and me, wanted to refresh my flock this year, was thinking 25 from Murray. They send 30. Then I figured they switched 7 chicks for their choice (not mine) 😂 then i went hunting for my preferred breed of course nothing then I ended up stumbling into starlight green egger purchased 10 then the owner of that place called (I kinda gave up on EEs) so of course I had to buy 10 of them and that my friend is how I ended up with 50!!!! Chicken math at its best 😁. Notice how my post is run on sentence 😜 just like me and my impulse control. Anyone wants some 8 weeks old Wyandotte pullets?!!? 🐤🐣🐥🐔😂😂

I’m in south Alabama. In a neighborhood. The local tractor supply sells out as fast as they set em in the bins. I have my own so I don’t buy any. I did decide to set a “eggs for sale” sign out in the yard one day. I had 10 18 packs in the fridge. Something for the kids to do to learn. They sold 18 packs at 3.50 and sold out in an hour. Lol they had a blast.

I don't think people are buying many chicks here (Coastal California). The feed stores seem to have lots of chicks, including ones that are a week or 2 old. I'm seeing some pretty good deals on Craigslist (someone offered me 12 easter egger chicks for $20 if I take them all). To be fair, we've been hit with repeated floods and power outages, so maybe people aren't ready for chicks yet. But egg prices have fallen nationwide, so maybe the "Inflation Chicken" fad is over.

Open Question: How's the chick market in your area?
Eastern PA. Local feed stores sold out for the season. All were sold by order and they will not have any or "extras" in the store. TSC sells out as they come in.
BUT my husband ordered a chicken "package" which could have a wide variety of breeds from Hoover Hatchery through TSC. He ordered Tuesday and thought we would get them next week from next Monday's hatching but got notified Wednesday afternoon they were in the mail and they arrived this morning.
I was afraid they would suffer from travel, but all were warm and active.
Meanwhile my husband went to TSC this morning to pick up more supplies and brought home four bantams that had just come in, We had planned to get more bantams early summer.
He said there was a woman there who called yesterday and found they had gotten some in that she wanted so showed up this morning and all of the breed she wanted were gone. They had gotten RIR's in, black sex links and ducks as well as bantams
We do have the ability to raise our own but I have to incubator hatch as my breeds don't go broody and I hate the 50% cockerel rate. But if I had to I could. I do have bantams that go broody, but they are so small they couldn't cover many eggs.

I'm in NE Tennessee. Tractor supply sells out of chicks, ducklings and turkeys by the weekend here. Anecdotally, I've heard the most people asking about turkeys. This is a largely rural area with a lot of farms. I'm having a hard time selling my chicks and ducklings for slightly less $ than tractor supply does from my own small flock. My Khaki Campbells are going on 2 1/2 weeks old now and I have more in the incubator! I don't know what that means. I'm organic and pasture and put up ads everywhere I can think of.
I'm going to have to buy a bigger freezer.
Southeast Michigan here. TSC seems to have a good supply of chicks and ducks - towards the end of summer I’ll keep an eye out for ducks as they go on sale. Bought 11 last year for 50 cents each as they were the last batch and TSC was ready to change their display area! The freezer is my first strategy followed by sales. Usually cycle through about 250 per year.

Back
Top Bottom