Are people buying chicks in your area?

fat brown hen

Songster
Jun 12, 2022
I don't think people are buying many chicks here (Coastal California). The feed stores seem to have lots of chicks, including ones that are a week or 2 old. I'm seeing some pretty good deals on Craigslist (someone offered me 12 easter egger chicks for $20 if I take them all). To be fair, we've been hit with repeated floods and power outages, so maybe people aren't ready for chicks yet. But egg prices have fallen nationwide, so maybe the "Inflation Chicken" fad is over.

Open Question: How's the chick market in your area?

There is a run on chicks and supplies here in Colorado. Egg prices went through the roof for a bit and the backyard chicken hobby boomed overnight.

The local feed stores are selling out each shipment from Hoover’s Hatchery in 15-20 minutes.

I fear as egg prices come back down and folks realize what it takes to have and manage a flock, we may see a lot of abandoned chickens.

But egg prices have fallen nationwide, so maybe the "Inflation Chicken" fad is over.
If not yet, it will be.
Once people understand that egg prices have come down, feed prices have not.
...or once they understand that keeping chickens does NOT mean 'cheap eggs'.

But what is normal? Things will settle down and the weather will dry up. People will get back to buying chicks. You might be experiencing a severe shortage this summer. They won't be laying until August...
Good question. Based on my past purchase receipts, I always paid the highest prices for chicks in late March, and paid much lower prices by about June/July.

I wouldn't be getting the Easter eggers for eggs. I don't even like the breed. It's just that they're a good deal. It's like stocking up on toilet paper when it goes on sale at CVS.

It’s still crazy in Ohio. Orders full for months out. It will absolutely calm down, just not sure when. I hope it’s a bit after the summer because I have a summer selling project coming up :oops:

After chatting with a hatchery I think it’s still the newbies driving the craze, but that just means the seasoned keepers are waiting on their orders - so they will have to catch up after the newbies.

I personally worry for the health and well-being of the chickens owned by the newbies who are just out to save egg money (obviously a fool’s errand). Panic buying animals should be illegal.

Central Jersey. i preordered in no name family run feed store some EEs in February (my original order got replaced with other breeds) and finally got the call to come to pick them up. my instructions were very, very clear. Park in the back and come into the office through back door do not enter the store at all if I needed anything to let them know right away and it will be in the office waiting for me. ?!!?!?!?! 😂
As I was pulling into the parking lot I could see line of people waiting (30ish). When I parked (in the back) I was ushered quickly in showed goods and money exchanged hands. As quickly as I was in I was showed out, not before being asked not to go to into The store or tell people in line that I have just purchased chicks. Its a small store and owner never expected such an surge in chicken popularly and for the rest of the season will have his usual ,under 50 weekly order of chicks, no option for him to up the number from hatchery, pullets sold out for season) . TSC is sold out in the matter of hours except for bantam chicks and chic starter is scarce (at least small packages). Anyhow, I wanted to chime in on the chick situation in the great NJ and writing this I m not sure what did I purchase, drugs or baby chicks, 😂😂😂

Central Jersey. i preordered in no name family run feed store some EEs in February (my original order got replaced with other breeds) and finally got the call to come to pick them up. my instructions were very, very clear. Park in the back and come into the office through back door do not enter the store at all if I needed anything to let them know right away and it will be in the office waiting for me. ?!!?!?!?! 😂
As I was pulling into the parking lot I could see line of people waiting (30ish). When I parked (in the back) I was ushered quickly in showed goods and money exchanged hands. As quickly as I was in I was showed out, not before being asked not to go to into The store or tell people in line that I have just purchased chicks. Its a small store and owner never didn’t expect such an surge in chicken popularly and for the rest of the season he wi have his usual under 50 weekly order (no option for him to up the number from hatchery, pullets sold out for season) . TSC is sold out in the matter of hours except for bantam chicks and chic starter is scarce (at least small packages). Anyhow, I wanted to chime in on the chick situation in the great NJ and writing this I m not sure what did I purchase drugs or baby chicks, 😂😂😂
The Tony Soprano of chickens. :gig

Back
Top Bottom