Are people buying chicks in your area?

I don't think people are buying many chicks here (Coastal California). The feed stores seem to have lots of chicks, including ones that are a week or 2 old. I'm seeing some pretty good deals on Craigslist (someone offered me 12 easter egger chicks for $20 if I take them all). To be fair, we've been hit with repeated floods and power outages, so maybe people aren't ready for chicks yet. But egg prices have fallen nationwide, so maybe the "Inflation Chicken" fad is over.

Open Question: How's the chick market in your area?
Eastern PA. Local feed stores sold out for the season. All were sold by order and they will not have any or "extras" in the store. TSC sells out as they come in.
BUT my husband ordered a chicken "package" which could have a wide variety of breeds from Hoover Hatchery through TSC. He ordered Tuesday and thought we would get them next week from next Monday's hatching but got notified Wednesday afternoon they were in the mail and they arrived this morning.
I was afraid they would suffer from travel, but all were warm and active.
Meanwhile my husband went to TSC this morning to pick up more supplies and brought home four bantams that had just come in, We had planned to get more bantams early summer.
He said there was a woman there who called yesterday and found they had gotten some in that she wanted so showed up this morning and all of the breed she wanted were gone. They had gotten RIR's in, black sex links and ducks as well as bantams
We do have the ability to raise our own but I have to incubator hatch as my breeds don't go broody and I hate the 50% cockerel rate. But if I had to I could. I do have bantams that go broody, but they are so small they couldn't cover many eggs.

Oh man, so maybe things are just slow here because of the storms. I wish you guys hadn't told me that, because now I feel like I should grab those easter egger chicks. I need a dozen more chicks like I need a hole in the head.
It's a rough job, but somebody has to do it. If you haven't already -Go get those chicks!

Oh man, so maybe things are just slow here because of the storms. I wish you guys hadn't told me that, because now I feel like I should grab those easter egger chicks. I need a dozen more chicks like I need a hole in the head.
But what is normal? Things will settle down and the weather will dry up. People will get back to buying chicks. You might be experiencing a severe shortage this summer. They won't be laying until August...

I don't think people are buying many chicks here (Coastal California). The feed stores seem to have lots of chicks, including ones that are a week or 2 old. I'm seeing some pretty good deals on Craigslist (someone offered me 12 easter egger chicks for $20 if I take them all). To be fair, we've been hit with repeated floods and power outages, so maybe people aren't ready for chicks yet. But egg prices have fallen nationwide, so maybe the "Inflation Chicken" fad is over.

Open Question: How's the chick market in your area?
Here in Sacramento our feed stores are selling out within the first day they arrive! It’s rather crazy!

Good question. Based on my past purchase receipts, I always paid the highest prices for chicks in late March, and paid much lower prices by about June/July.

I wouldn't be getting the Easter eggers for eggs. I don't even like the breed. It's just that they're a good deal. It's like stocking up on toilet paper when it goes on sale at CVS.
I was thinking along the lines of selling POL pullets in the summer. Does your market support paying $20-25 for a pullet? Will cover your cost and pay for a couple extra bags of feed.

I'm in NE Tennessee. Tractor supply sells out of chicks, ducklings and turkeys by the weekend here. Anecdotally, I've heard the most people asking about turkeys. This is a largely rural area with a lot of farms. I'm having a hard time selling my chicks and ducklings for slightly less $ than tractor supply does from my own small flock. My Khaki Campbells are going on 2 1/2 weeks old now and I have more in the incubator! I don't know what that means. I'm organic and pasture and put up ads everywhere I can think of.
I'm going to have to buy a bigger freezer.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom