Are people buying chicks in your area?

Yes they said they can’t get anymore in because there was case of avian flu in the county
I mean, they are being sold in other states so what gives? I’m sorry, I was just shocked that , if I’m understanding correctly, they just stopped selling chicks . I would think that it would have same effect on the rest of the country or at least east coast or northeast …

Just saw this thread. TSC and the farm co-ops are selling out of chicks within the day they arrive. I hatched out eggs last weekend. Sold the chicks within a day with people asking for more. However, I do get concerned because I've had people asking me what they need to raise baby chicks. This tells me they are newbies which is ok but I'd hate to see birds suffer from people simply not knowing anything about raising chickens. Of course, I always direct them here after I give them the cliff-note version of the top requirements.

I mean, they are being sold in other states so what gives? I’m sorry, I was just shocked that , if I’m understanding correctly, they just stopped selling chicks . I would think that it would have same effect on the rest of the country or at least east coast or northeast …
I am thinking Lancaster County & they did have an active quarantine area, so they probably wouldn't be allowed to bring chicks in.

I'm in NE Tennessee. Tractor supply sells out of chicks, ducklings and turkeys by the weekend here. Anecdotally, I've heard the most people asking about turkeys. This is a largely rural area with a lot of farms. I'm having a hard time selling my chicks and ducklings for slightly less $ than tractor supply does from my own small flock. My Khaki Campbells are going on 2 1/2 weeks old now and I have more in the incubator! I don't know what that means. I'm organic and pasture and put up ads everywhere I can think of.
I'm going to have to buy a bigger freezer.
I have an ad up on craigslist, Facebook, Instagram, etc. And it's certain breeds people want. I'm in the suburbs of Atlanta. If I don't have what they want then I try to direct them to a local producer.

I was hatching every 3 weeks but I don't want to get hung with a crap load of chicks that are the wrong breed (barnyard mix ATM, I'm growing my Breese flock out) so I'm doing custom hatches.

TSC is selling out here quick also. I have been posting batches I’m hatching on CL, and am sold out of EE chicks til the end of May. Most people are homesteaders, with a few new chicken owners. I think part of the feeling here is that scarcity and increased prices could happen at any time, so people who have animals are raising double as precautions. My local farm store is waiting on seed orders, as their warehouse has had trouble with stock. Glad I have almost all seeds I am planning to grow already.

Eastern PA. Local feed stores sold out for the season. All were sold by order and they will not have any or "extras" in the store. TSC sells out as they come in.
BUT my husband ordered a chicken "package" which could have a wide variety of breeds from Hoover Hatchery through TSC. He ordered Tuesday and thought we would get them next week from next Monday's hatching but got notified Wednesday afternoon they were in the mail and they arrived this morning.
I was afraid they would suffer from travel, but all were warm and active.
Meanwhile my husband went to TSC this morning to pick up more supplies and brought home four bantams that had just come in, We had planned to get more bantams early summer.
He said there was a woman there who called yesterday and found they had gotten some in that she wanted so showed up this morning and all of the breed she wanted were gone. They had gotten RIR's in, black sex links and ducks as well as bantams
We do have the ability to raise our own but I have to incubator hatch as my breeds don't go broody and I hate the 50% cockerel rate. But if I had to I could. I do have bantams that go broody, but they are so small they couldn't cover many eggs.
Sounds like the tsc I use in Pottstown lol

Back
Top Bottom