Are people ever surprised that you own chickens?

Wink

Songster
9 Years
Aug 24, 2010
Texas
I guess we all do it....whenever we meet someone, we think we have a general idea of what a person is "like" based on what they look like. Sad, but true. I know that sometimes I throw people for a loop when I happily claim that I own chickens and I built my own coop....I guess they don't think that fits in with their mental image of me!

Yep, I moved from wisconsin to Kentucky 12 years ago and people still think of me as that yankee who must come from a big city.The only time I have ever lived in a town big enough to be considered a city was when I was 4-5 years old. That was 1/2 a century ago but I still get it alot. They just can't beleive a city boy would have chickens.

I am sometimes surprised to find that other people also own chickens in places I would not expect to meet them. I have one of those "chicken purses" that I carry sometimes that is a real conversation starter, and I took it into the AT&T store with me once. The lady that was helping me said, "OH! Do you have chickens?" When I told her that yes I did, I have a mixed flock of 21 Bantams, she told me that she and her mom have 30 Silkies. So, in addition to 'talking chickens', she also went out of her way to make sure everything with my phone was taken care of.

You just never know.

Yep - and the people most surprised are my own kids. They're adults now, and they are just flabbergasted that their mom - the mom that has never particularly cared for pets - now has chickens and is actually enjoying it.

I am a retired Army First Sergeant and my troops tease me on FB all the time they can't believe they were replaced with chickens. They would have never guessed I would get chickens because I love things spotless and organized. But I have mellowed a tad in my old age. You wouldn't think so reading my Bio-security thread but I don't have to worry about training troops for deployments anymore. I think my chickens are in charge of me. And I l♥ve it.

Quote:
Are you in Australia? All your words are upside down!

yuckyuck.gif

Yes, people act suprised at first, then they all want eggs.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom