Are poutry watering nipples different?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Chemguy, Jul 13, 2011.

  1. Chemguy

    Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

    May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    Hi All,

    I was at a feed store recently and saw a couple of different types of watering nipples. I almost jumped and bought them, until I realized that they were shelved with supplies for pigs and goats. They were stainless steel, and there was a steel 'stop' behind the lever that an animal would push to get water. The packaging was not labelled in a way that would help me know their intended use. They also seemed to take a bit of pressure to work, maybe more than would be good for a chicken. Is there more than one type of nipple system out there, or can any watering nipple be used with chicks?
  2. ChickenAl

    ChickenAl Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed

    Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    I've only seen the one chicken nipple type and it only requires a small peck to get water from them. Might be other types, though.
  3. bustermommy

    bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

    Apr 16, 2011
  4. Neil Grassbaugh

    Neil Grassbaugh Chillin' With My Peeps

    Sep 1, 2008
    Poultry nipples are very purpose specific, as are hog nipples. For chickens use the chicken nipples only.

    Many people believe that rodent drinkers that are a good subsitute but I disagree.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by