Unique Frostless Waterer Question

Aisling

In the Brooder
Jan 28, 2023
First of all, I live in northern Virginia which means that we commonly have temps in the teens and single digits during the coldest part of winter. So, here's my thought...I have a run that is divided into 2 parts for different chicken breeds. I want to put one 55 gal barrel on one side of the divide and one barrel on the other side. Both will have nipples on the sides close to the bottom, and both barrels will be on blocks to make the drinking height right. My thought is to make the water barrels frostless by circulation rather than heat. To do this, I propose an in line pump with a hose running from the bottom of Barrel A to the top of Barrel B. Then I propose another in line pump and hose running from the bottom of Barrel B to the top of Barrel A. Thereby, I would be completing a circuit of water for the bottom and top of each Barrel. To finish, I would plug each pump into a thermostat controlled plug, so that it only circulates when needed. Any thoughts or anything to add or critique? Thanks guys. Note: I am using Columbus Aqua nipples which are supposed to be more freeze resistant.

Last edited:
Without warm water, the nipples are still going to freeze. Even with warm water, they may freeze because it needs to remain above freezing at the seal.

Have you considered this? I use this and it works great. I set it up on a block to keep it at about chicken chest height.
heated waterer.jpg

Back
Top Bottom