Are quail supposed to make those weird sounds?

Germaine_11.20

Songster
10 Years
Jun 6, 2009
Idaho
This is my first time with quail and today somone in there was making some really weird sounds. All I can say is that my Dad thought it was my power drill.
It would do it about every 15 minutes or so. Is it a male and is that the "crowing"?

5 weeks...There not crowing yet then I guess.. Wait until you hear that fuss... LoL
The sound I think your referring to reminds me of a cats purr but in short bursts..
When they start crowing it will sound something like "LOOK AT ME."
My DW says to her it sounds like "WHAT ABOUT ME?"
LoL

David

Mine sound like coturnix quail. The roos make a pretty loud crow sometimes, as well as 2 or 3 other vocalizations. The hens mostly make a chirp-chirp, that sounds like crickets. That is there "I'm lonely" or "Give me some loving" call. They also have an "I'm about to,just, or have already laid an egg" call.
Both sexes can cackle about anything, but I have only heard roos growl.
Coturnix have a pretty large vocabulary, as far as birds go. I have only managed to figure out the meaning of a few.

Hey thanks!! I was making a new brooder yesterday and got carried away with time and forgot to check back. They are coturnix and it is the oddest noise.
It must be a growl. I actually thought it sounded like someone was dying or throwing up, but they are all happy in there! Tomorow they will be 5 weeks old.
I should put them in their own cage because I heard they will start laying soon with enough light. I have them in with my Delaware chicks.

Quote:
Thank you David. Yes I guess that could be what to call that sound but it is very loud and short. Now I am looking forward to the rest of the fuss!

If they are indoors now, depending on how many Males you end up with you may be looking forward
to getting them outdoors as soon as possible.
gig.gif

If they aren't in total darkness they will crow all night long and you will want to
duc.gif

David

Back
Top Bottom