Are quail supposed to make those weird sounds?

Quote:
Actually, early blooming coturnix roos can crow around 4 weeks. The sound you are describing is most likely a crow, because most are able to crow by 5 weeks.

Your quail should have their very own cage/cages.
1 roo to 3-4 hens, 1 square foot of floor space per bird is ideal, but more is always better. As long as you can reach every square inch of the floor for egg collection it can be as large as you like. around 12 inches is the recommended pen height.
When the hens become mature and start breeding, the roo crowing will settle down.

Quote:
At the top of this board there is a "Niki-Sticky" that covers sexing coturnix as well as other basic and advanced inf..

Give it a quick read.
smile.png

I like the growl they do i seen it on all kinds of youtube vids

Does anyone have any idea of baby quail noises? I keep hearing these small distinct noises from mine and I find them so cute but I'd like to know what they mean

Does anyone have any idea of baby quail noises? I keep hearing these small distinct noises from mine and I find them so cute but I'd like to know what they mean

I have figured out one or two - there is the loud, annoyed PEEP! = something is not right. Equivalent to a baby's cry, it means hungry, cold, or thirsty. We are finding some of our babies are stretching their necks and making this noise for no reason...we're assuming those will be roos.

There's kind of a low whistle/hoot which I think is just a noise they make when they are exploring, kind of a location-noise so their mama can find them if they wander off?

Then there's a quick, quiet twitter, which I think is annoyance with their broodmates, they make it when they are shoving each other to get to something.

I'm by far no expert, but this is my set of assumptions. I do take the PEEP! noise fairly seriously - I've found babies that somehow got themselves stuck in the cold, or that they were out of water or food. As a consequence, I haven't slept well for a bit...lol:D

I have figured out one or two - there is the loud, annoyed PEEP! = something is not right. Equivalent to a baby's cry, it means hungry, cold, or thirsty. We are finding some of our babies are stretching their necks and making this noise for no reason...we're assuming those will be roos.

There's kind of a low whistle/hoot which I think is just a noise they make when they are exploring, kind of a location-noise so their mama can find them if they wander off?

Then there's a quick, quiet twitter, which I think is annoyance with their broodmates, they make it when they are shoving each other to get to something.

I'm by far no expert, but this is my set of assumptions. I do take the PEEP! noise fairly seriously - I've found babies that somehow got themselves stuck in the cold, or that they were out of water or food. As a consequence, I haven't slept well for a bit...lol:D
The standing up tall, loud peeping, stretching neck is a locator call, either they feel like they separated themselves and can’t get back, or they lost contact with a friend and panicked and called to them. It does not indicate gender, some of my most vocal turned out to be hens. I tried swapping the waterer for one with nipples, and they peeped angrily at it, and called for their old waterer until I put it back, I gave them a couple days and tried again and they stopped, so I guess they can manage it better now. The other noises you described are spot on from what I’ve observed. Chicks will often peep quietly and happily while they lay around when they’re happy. I had a failure to thrive, but since he laid there pitifully but obviously cheeping happily I cared for him, and he eventually began to thrive and now he’s normal, so the sounds can really be indicative of how they feel, regardless of how they look.

Back
Top Bottom