Are Red Shouldered Yokohamas mottled or spangled or both?

Michael99

Songster
Jan 3, 2018
Litchfield Park, AZ
Does anyone know if Red Shouldered Yokohamas are mottled or spangled or both? I want to know as I'd like to create a mottled Phoenix, and if Yokos have the mottling gene then it would likely be my best bet to perform an outcross.

Also, what is underneath (genetically speaking) white Yokohamas? I'm pretty sure they're duckwing based, but do they carry other genes that could possibly complicate an outcross? Is the white dominant or recessive?

And if anyone has pictures of Yokohama crosses I'd love to see some!

Here is a nice reading about their genetics by Brian Reeder

https://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Phoen/ReederRedShGenetics.html

I made a thread about the similarities between RSY and white mottled Swedish Flower Hens(can't find it) but here is one for comparison
836def65_SwedishFlowerHen1.jpeg

But unless You want to create a RSY look a like I would stay away from them as they are full of other color genetics You would need to breeds out. It would be better if You just start with a Black mottled breed ti out Cross

Here is a nice reading about their genetics by Brian Reeder

https://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Phoen/ReederRedShGenetics.html

I made a thread about the similarities between RSY and white mottled Swedish Flower Hens(can't find it) but here is one for comparison
View attachment 2242948

But unless You want to create a RSY look a like I would stay away from them as they are full of other color genetics You would need to breeds out. It would be better if You just start with a Black mottled breed ti out Cross
X2
Also, a Phoenix of the same variety. would just look like a single-combed Yokohoma.

I love the look of that rooster! And I've already read the article by Brian Reeder, it was an interesting read and he basically said that they can be either spangled or mottled or both so I'm going to have to assume it probably just depends on the line.

And that's good to know. I've definitely looked into other breeds for a potential source of mottling but most of them that are even remotely close to a Phoenix in type (Dutch, Rosecombs, Leghorns, etc) are all very difficult to find. I guess I'll have to keep searching though!

Back
Top Bottom