Are Rhode island reds aggressive?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chasiekitten12, Jan 15, 2015.

1. chasiekitten12

chasiekitten12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2014
    What are you thoughts?
    Are they aggressive with Buff Orpingtons and Barred rocks?
    Thinking of adding a few to our flock.

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    I don't think so. I've always had BO's and RIR's together and they get along just fine. Idk about BR's, I've never had any.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

While 99% of the folks who may complain that a RI Red is aggressive, they've never actually had REAL Rhode Island Reds. The true bred, heritage Rhode Island Reds are extremely docile birds, at least all the Reds we've had are just teddy bears.

[​IMG]

4. sekeyslaks

sekeyslaks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2014
    I have all three of those breeds and while I can say the(prod) RIR's are bossy,The Barred Rocks are bossier![​IMG],Buff Orps are very quiet and gentle,in my flock the Barred rocks are over my(prod) RIR,and my(prod) RIR is over my Buffs!my(prod) RIR Rhoda is a little dominant,with people and chickens!you have to correct them early and establish good behavior.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  5. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    The farm I help on has RIR Leghorn and BR together they all get along well. The RIR are the dirst to greet me when I go to feed them. They all are lije a giant swarm when I do get in to feed them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by