Are Rhode Island Reds Considered A Heavy Breed?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by RW19290, Nov 28, 2008.

1. RW19290

RW19290 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Southern California
    Are they? I ordered a brown egg special from welp hatchery and they are now 3 weeks old. I think they gave us a lot of Rhode Island Reds, so I've been trying to learn more about them. Are they good at laying? Are they tame and docile? Are they mean? What is their personality in general? Do you recommend this breed? Any answers would be nice!!![​IMG]

Thanks!!!~Ruby

2. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    Rhode Island Reds are great layer's of Large brown eggs.Hatchery one's are not as big as breeder stock but they are considered a heavy breed.You can get a bad strain in anything but they are generally very good in temperment.You should enjoy lot's of large brown egg's.

3. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    I have RIR's and they are great chickens. Two of them are 6 years old, still laying eggs, although they have slowed down. Then I have 2 that are now 7 months and are laying eggs everyday right now, and two that are just over 5 months and not laying yet.

4. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    I have 2 RIR hens and 1 roo. He's not mean like some say they can be and the girls are warming up to me, they dont like to be held but they are ok about being around me. I think both are laying nearly daily and are about 7 months old. I dont know about being heavy, my EE's are larger. I do know that RIR are supposed to tollerate cold weather very well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by