Are RIRs a little skiddish?

supdude

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 13, 2008
New Orleans, LA
i have a little RIR chick, im really not sure how hold she is but maybe 5-7 weeks. anyway, whenever i try to touch her or pet her she freaks out and moves away. but she still eats food and treats from my hand and follows my around, so is there anyway i can get her to let me handle her more?

Just give her time - she's still young.

I've only got one RIR hen but she's a nice girl, not as sweet as a couple others but I can pick her up and pet her at any time (so can my kids).

My 5 seem do not like to be messed with much. They love to follow me around and eat treats that I give them, but when it comes to me picking them up, that's a whole different story! They don't like to be held much.
roll.png

My batch of RIR's are not overly friendly. They will come up and check me out at times, but do not like to be touched. I got 24 at once so they have not been handled much. I know that's most of the reason. I am finding that bribing mine is going a long way.

haha i pretty much got a split response, but ill keep trying and giving her treats, i hope she'll warm up and let me pet her, i don't want her to be scared everytime i reach 4 her

All 10 of mine are the same way. I only have one RIR. They all come running to me but stay at arm's length. They will all eat out of my hand (except for the Silkie) but if I lift my hand and start to pet them... they jump & run a couple feet away.

I know I should of handled them more when they were small. My son gets real frustrated because he really wants to pet and maybe hold one. I wish there was a way to get them more tame.

The only two I can "partially" pet is the buff orp and New Hampshire red. Usually that's short lived as they are backing away.

<sigh>

Shane

When I had two RIRs they were pretty standoffish. One of them was killed by a predator and the one left has warmed up to me considerably. So there is your answer... have a predator get one and the others will be scared straight!

It's normal.

In fact, that will continue to some degree from now on. It used to bug me, too. I was wondering if I was doing something wrong or if they didnt lilke me for some reason.

Then it dawned on me that they don't really like me - or anybody or anything else. Nothing personal, mind you, it just seems to be part of the fact that they are primarily prey animals. It is a safety net for them to stay away from what could be a threat.

It's just chickens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom