Are salmon faverolles fragile?

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
I'm thinking of adding a few salmon faverolles chicks to my spring order, but they need to be hardy little birds.

Quote:
My Faverolles live in a chicken tractor and free range and they are bantams my LF hens also free ranged I would say they are not fragile as long as they aren't from an inbred flock.

Henry

Quote:
My Faverolles live in a chicken tractor and free range and they are bantams my LF hens also free ranged I would say they are not fragile as long as they aren't from an inbred flock.

Henry

Thanks
smile.png

I've been researching them too. I can't remember where I saw it- but someone said that the chicks were not very "hardy". I asked Meyer's about this and they had no idea. I might get a couple extra just in case.

Quote:
I've read the same thing in several places - that the chicks are fragile. I didn't lose any chicks from my first order and I really don't want to start now.
hmm.png

Quote:
Sounds like a good excuse to me! LOL

I don't know that I would consider them fragile.....however when I hatched my own, they were in with a VERY vigorous batch of RIR chicks and definitely were overwhelmed....they would have done much better with "quieter" roommates. Personality wise, they remind me of my cochins....

Quote:
I agree with this I think the hatchries problem wiht chicks that fail to thrive is caused by inbreeding my two chicks from Meyer did very well and these BF faverolles play in the snow and outside in all wether and they continue to lay

I ordered some this past year and out of all they seemed the most nosy and curious. They were very hardy; especially with all the rains we had here in Arkansas and the cold temps.They are going on 6 months now and are doing great . I will probably order some more!!! They are very beautiful and gentle. Since you raise the Light Brahmas like I do you know how their personalities are. They do remind a lot of my brahmas too, just in a different color! These were raised as dual purpose fowl too.
smile.png

gritsar the chicks themselves are a bit fragile compared to other breeds but as teens and adults they are pretty tough. Mine have done well through the cold weather and the 100 degree days with no issues. If you order, seriously order 5 or 6 because you may lose one or two in transport if they are in with other friskier breeds. Does that make sense? LOL

Back
Top Bottom